Mint Rocks

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rivenought

Re: Mint Rocks

Post by rivenought »

Welcome to Linux Mint. I know I was a happy camper after I found Mint back when version 3.0 was released. I was using openSUSE at the time. All I had ever used were RPM-based distros, so Mint was my first DEB-based experience. This was also my first full-time use of GNOME. Now, if you like KDE, you might enjoy the upcoming community edition with KDE. I am looking forward to test-driving that one myself.

I have not run MEPIS yet, but I have considered giving it a spin a couple of times. If you have any comparisons to share, I would enjoy reading them.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
KevMaverick

Post by KevMaverick »

I've tried everything! I started my journey way back with Dos 5.0, and progressed (if you can call it that) through Windows 3.0, 3.1, 3,11, Windows 95.... and so on, right up until Vista hit me in the face like a sledgehammer! If nothing else, you have got to admire my persistence!

So, the timeline continues.... I've got a 'proper' registered version of XP, and I 'acquire' Vista Ultimate. It makes me laugh coz it was like a circus. You didn't know what to expect, but entertainment was guaranteed! LOL! And I got my money's worth!

'Crucial Updates' killed my pc. My virus checker (Avast) found so many phantom viruses that it was ridiculous. Mostly, any disk that had 'autorun.exe' on it!

So to continue the story, I try Linux. I start to get excited.....try 10-15 different distros....fight with drivers....get angry with drivers......threaten death to my pc..... and then! A Miracle! I discover Mint! and everything just works....almost perfectly.....

Videos work, mp3's work, flash stuff works... right from install....

Whoever started this topic got it right. Yeah, it rocks!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Mark mc

Take a peek at my post in the thread below.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ot#p127588

Fred
KevMaverick

Post by KevMaverick »

I will do that Fred, thank you! :)

I hope to see you around.
Fred

Post by Fred »

KevMaverick,

Welcome, and if I can be of any service to you just let me know. Sometimes I get lucky. :-)

Fred
craxy720

Post by craxy720 »

I completely agree! LinuxMint has made me a believer in Linux as a true alternative to Windows or Apple. I'm a high-level windows user, and live on Microsoft Office for most of my day at work, and even longer when I have to bring work home. This was a major sticking point. I bought Bordeaux, however, and have complete access to my Office 2007 suite.

I also found Ubuntu still too reliant on the console. Being a windows user for years, I 1)don't know the parameters, file systems, and commands of linux, gnu, etc. and nor do I honestly have time for it. I've already learned HTML, Javascript and VBA for Office, etc I don't want to go through this kind of learning again just to use an OS. And 2) I wanted something that was clean, simple, and relied on a well thought out GUI. Mint is the answer, and I'll be following up with a nice donation now, and with any new upgrade down the road. The only downside I've found is that the auto repartition on install is a bit nuts. I split my disk space on this computer through Vista at 250GB for Linux, 250GB for Windows. I Installed Linux Mint, and the repartition tool automatically moved that partition I made to being 450GB for Linux, 50GB for Windows. Yikes! If I hadn't just bought this for a Linux box, I might have been a bit more choked, but as of now, I'm not going to bother to change anything. I'm liking the change!

KEEP IT UP!
Patrissimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Patrissimo »

I put Ubuntu 8.10 on a box after reading somewhere that Linux Mint was just Ubuntu with some codecs added, which could be easily done from restricted sources in the repositories.
Well...I got it to work, but it never worked as smoothly as Mint.
Clem and the team have really done a great job putting together a distro whose parts mesh together well.
Fred

Post by Fred »

craxy720 wrote:
I also found Ubuntu still too reliant on the console. Being a windows user for years, I 1)don't know the parameters, file systems, and commands of linux, gnu, etc. and nor do I honestly have time for it. I've already learned HTML, Javascript and VBA for Office, etc I don't want to go through this kind of learning again just to use an OS.
My mouth fell open and I was completely speechless when I read that one. All I can say is, I wish you well on your journey into Linux land. :-)
The only downside I've found is that the auto repartition on install is a bit nuts.
I wouldn't be quite so kind about the installer's auto partitioning for a dual boot with Vista myself. I would say right off hand you came out quite lucky, actually. :-)

Fred
KevMaverick

Post by KevMaverick »

You got that right minty_breath!

I honestly never thought that I'd find a Linux distro that I could use every day, for everything that I wanted to do, but I was wrong.

I always kept XP or Vista lurking in the background as a dual-boot, but once I discovered Mint, I soon realised that this is something that I COULD use every day. Something that really does replace that OTHER system that we used to use. Dual Boot? A memory!

My pc - which is pretty good - not exactly the latest gear, but not exactly prehistoric, runs like a dream using Mint, and I couldn't be happier.

Welcome to the family - you will not be disappointed. :D

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”