Open Arena

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Open Arena

Postby clem on Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:53 am

I was listening to the Linux Action Show yesterday and they were talking about a game called OpenArena... so I gave it a try (I know.. I should have been working at fixing BETA022 but hey.. I was tired ok ? :) ).

Anyway, here it goes.

- Their website is here: http://openarena.ws/
- It's 100% free and open source.
- It looks and reacts exactly like Quake2 (apparently even mods/maps are compatible)
- It's multiplayer over the Internet ;)
- It's easy to install
- It worked great and was fast on my crappy machine (ATI radeon 7000, Duron 1.6Ghz, 256MB RAM) so it should be really smooth on yours :)

How to install:

- Download this: http://openarena.ws/rel/060/oa060.tar.gz
- Decompress it.
- Open a terminal
- Install a needed library "sudo apt-get install libopenal0a"
- Go in the openarena directory and run the game "./whatevernameithasforyourarchitecture"

Once you're ready:

- Open Xchat (it should automatically connect to the Linux Mint channel)
- Tell everybody you're ready to kick their ...
- Agree on a server with people who are interested and have a Linux Mint frag party :)

Some screenshots:

PS: If things go well we'll start using a Linux Mint Calendar and have community events for things like "Get to talk live to the devs", "Release parties", "Newbie Questions sessions", "OpenArena Frag Parties" and all.. we'll see about that soon. There's more than a thousand people reading threads in this forum so there's no reason we shouldn't have a great community and a lot of fun.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby tommyj12 on Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:55 am

I have been playing it for a month on pclos. Are you issuing a challenge? :twisted:

Tommy :wink:
tommyj12
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Chat about Linux Mint