Mint>XPx64

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shadowriser

Mint>XPx64

Post by Shadowriser »

Ok I am not really new to linux but still a noob in most terminal base things. I started using Linux when my computer nerd friend who loves Mac OS X and uses Linux at work made me try Fredora. Then quit using that and switched to Ubuntu. After 1 month I could not stand 7.xx and switched back to windows to play my games. (never got Everquest to work well with Ubuntu)

Now in middle of '08 I just plain got sick of spyware and the 110% need to always have a virus scanner running. I went back to Ubuntu and used I believe 8.04. I was pretty happy with it and actually got my X-Fi working this time (with lots of work). But soon as my favorite game had a patch Wine would not run it. The patcher didn't work etc in linux no matter what I tried. Well I could not just let Linux go so I dual booted Evil XP. I would run my game then RUN back to Ubuntu. Well friend started telling me about XFCE and other UI I should try since he claimed Gnome was not the best etc if I am running Linux on slow PC. I got a second PC just so I didn't need to deal with X-FI drivers or have to web browse in XP when I was playing my addiction. Fast forward some and I now have 2 Dual Core CPU's both with ok ram etc. I went on Distro watch and saw Linux Mint. I have always liked green then I noticed Flash and all my mp3 would work from the get go! Also i noticed Linux Mint has everything I loved about Ubuntu but looks better and so far is rock solid stable.

Ok now for the real reason I am posting this (sorry for the rant). Twin monitor mode on Linux seems to work 10x better then XP. Only way I could get my old Projection 50" (via Svideo) TV to work well in Windows was to use clone mode. In Mint it works better and I don't need to use lame clone mode to get it to work! Thank you everyone that has put effort into making LinuxMint x64 work so well!

P.S. My friend today who is a Window lover told me I never get this to work right! He said, just use windows it just works. Glad I got Linux Mint Thanks again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Mint>XPx64

Post by Husse »

Thank you
:oops:
Interesting to hear that dual monitors was no problem - some people have a problem with that...
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

A 50" rear projection tv? If I remember correctly those things produced a barely visible image from cable tv scource. How's that working with your computer?
Shadowriser

Post by Shadowriser »

Yes it is a lame rear projection tv. Bascially its horrid lighting during daytime. But at night its usable. I only use it for kids TV shows and late night movies. Maybe someday get a nice HDTV :P
Husse

Post by Husse »

rear projection tv.
I did not notice that - I doubt more than a handful were sold here (in Sweden) and I have never seen one :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”