We're coming your way

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
helios
Level 1
Level 1

We're coming your way

Post by helios »

Linux Mint is now the "official" distro install on HeliOS Project computers. http://www.heliosinitiative.org. It is our pleasure to make this great distro better-known to new and old Linux users alike. "Our kids" will undoubtably be coming here on occasion to ask questions. We take care of most of their problems for them but from time to time,they will be coming here. With that said, I want to ask something of you.

These are all kids ranging from 10-16 years old. I won't mention the distro but we quit using it because of the rude and foul language some of the members used in responding to them. During the time we were "experimenting" with the distros we would use, we found that to be more common than I am comfortable with. So much for the hype on humanity and community.

Now that we've chosen Mint as our distro of choice, we hope not to run into this problem. All of our kids have been instructed to use a specific icon if it is allowed, when they register. If it isn't, they will post a graphic at the bottom of their posts that identifies them as a HeliOS Project Kid. We ask that you please treat these as your own, and if any of them misbehave...just let me know.

Thanks for giving the HeliOS Project a perfect distro to work with.

h
go.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dlkreations

Re: We're coming your way

Post by dlkreations »

You've come to the right place, but I see you already know that from your join date. During my short stay here so far, I have not seen anyone use "foul" language, nor treat anyone any less than they would want to be treated. From all the people I have met on here thus far, all are very well behaved and helpful individuals all with a common goal in the Mint Community.

With that said, I for one will welcome the kids who visit here, and will help them out in any possible way that I humanly can. Plus you will not be disappointed in your choosing Mint as your distro of choice. I'm loving it!

Welcome!
Fred

Post by Fred »

helios,

Welcome to Mint. I, and others I am sure, appreciate the heads-up about your young project members. I will keep an eye out for them. :-)

I think you will find this forum to be one of the most civil around. Husse is the main-man in the forum, so-to-speak, and encourages, requires and enforces when necessary a high standard of behavior. One of the main reasons I come to this forum is because of the understanding and helpful atmosphere which exists here. In short, there is a good group of people here. There will always be an exception from time to time but they are rare and are dealt with expediently.

The forum is not only international in nature but is intergenerational as well. We have users/helpers from their early teens to well into their seventies, and beyond. I think this is one of our key strengths as well.

Again, welcome, and if you have questions or comments by all means speak up. :-)

Fred
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Good choice in the distro. Mint is one of the most user friendly out there yet it is not dumbed down to the point of uselessness as is the trend of late.

I think your kids (and other users) will learn the easiest and fastest with this distro. While the internet is kind of like the wild west this is a good forum for the most part. If they come in with respect I will assure you they will be treated with respect. No question is too "stupid," only arrogance and rudeness.

I will be on the lookout for them and will gladly help where I can.

Thanks once again for what you guys are doing. There are many dreamers and schemers, but you are actually out there putting computers into needy hands. Great job.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

helios, it would be our pleasure to help! I like the icon idea, very nice! You have a very worthwhile project and I look forward to seeing posts from these kids you have helped out. Thanks for choosing Mint!

exploder
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Helios, it might be a good idea to have them come here and set up their accounts, maybe say hi, before trouble starts. One less thing to worry about in the heat of the moment. Some people can get a little uncomfortable posting on forums and we don't want anyone to feel like that here.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

helios and all those involved in your project:
Welcome. This is a good Linux community and an excellent distribution - it's what has attracted many here. I look forward to helping, and will continue to enjoy reading your blog and project page as well.
Best Regards,
newW2
Husse

Post by Husse »

Helios
You and your kids are welcome!
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Thats a cool avatar! I want it! :lol:

The HeliOS kids are surely most welcome here. We'll do our best to help.
craxy720

Post by craxy720 »

I want your icon as my start button. Though I'm new to Linux (only a few of weeks now), I pick up on programming language and program architecture quickly (though I admittedly didn't want to learn the back-end of Linux at first). Mint does a great job of easing a person into learning the back-end of Linux by making the GUI quite intuitive and powerful on its own. Now that I'm more familiar with the OS architecture, I'm diving into the terminal a lot more as I am now hooked on customizing each facet of my Linux experience. Mint is a great distro, and a great way to learn about Linux for your first time. All the best to your project. Hopefully someday soon I'll be have the ability to pass on what others have helped me learn as well.

But seriously, your icon would make a great start button... I might have a weekend project on my hands now.
miket

Post by miket »

Welcome to LinuxMint Helios !

You will find the LinuxMint community friendly, helpful and indeed very patient!

There are many like myself who come from a professional background and freely give up our time to helps others with
their first tentative steps into the LinuxMint world and helping the HeliOS youngsters will be a pleasure.

I look forward to seeing some of the youngsters introduce themselves here and indeed embark on their new adventure into the world
of computing and the internet, all powered by LinuxMint of course ;)

Good luck !

Mike.
Yownanymous

Post by Yownanymous »

Ah, the famous helios. Welcome.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Welcome to Linux Mint young and old of HeliOS!
The wellbeing and safety of this worlds children is our collective responsability, we together make them what we want them to become, so we better take good care of them.
Once again welcome, and thank you for chosing Linux Mint as your platform!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”