KDE vs Gnome

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

KDE vs Gnome

Postby Uncle Bob on Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:39 pm

After reading through the 12th edition of the newsletter, I noticed that KDE is a much more popular download compared to Gnome. At the time of my post it stood at 110490 against 34708. This downloads are for the iso's only since 25th April.

Now I know Bianca was on the scene a lot longer compared to "KBianca" ( :wink: ), but after trawling through various Linux related websites, it would appear to me that KDE is a more popular download compared to Gnome. Besides, why download KDE if you are already using Gnome and are happy with it? Therefore that will ne for potential new users (...or something like that...)

Your opinions and reasons/reasoning welcome.
Cogito sumere potum alterum.

Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:02 pm

Linux Mint is getting more popular. When the main edition was release a lot of people still considered it being just Ubuntu+codecs and didn't it try it. We're still very new but now that we're in the distrowatch top10 more people are enclined to try us. This probably justifies the fact that the KDE edition is more downloaded.

Wait until the main edition of Cassandra. I am pretty sure it will get more downloads than Bianca KDE Edition.

The KDE Edition is a nice release but it's not as stable as the main one and it doesn't comes with any mint applications (no support for NTFS for instance).I think these figures can simply be explained by the fact that people who took Mint seriously already downloaded the main edition when it was released and others that do now would rather go for the newest one.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby allan on Tue May 01, 2007 2:01 am

Is there still a plan to add the Mint applications to the KDE release? Thanks...
allan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Tue May 01, 2007 5:30 am

Yes definitely, although our focus is on Cassandra at the moment.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Chat about Linux Mint