How Linux Mint changed your life

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
willxtreme

How Linux Mint changed your life

Post by willxtreme »

My big bro's about to leave my place. His computer used to have windows xp sp3. The only problem is that too many people use his computer and there's a lot of crap often installed on it. When they can't stand using the computer anymore, I get called to fix it (basically to clean the crap lol). Recently, they totally messed up the computer: it wouldn't boot because there was system files missing. I installed Gloria RC1 since then and everyone's happy because the computer is always fast. No more junks and they are able to do everything they used to do on it.

As for me personally, I'm in love with Linux Mint and would recommend it to anyone. I wish I didn't have to keep my Windows partition but I need Flash & Dreamweaver.

I got to say I've always been tempted to get a Mac but hey, thanks to Linux Mint, it's like if I have a Mac but way better 8)
It's just a matter of time before Mint is 2nd on Distrowatch (and who knows, maybe 1st position one day but that would be troublesome for Ubuntu since Mint is Ubuntu well made)
I'd like to hear you guys share you stories about Linux Mint :)
ONCE YOU GO MINT YOU NEVER GO BACK!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How Linux Mint changed your life

Post by grimdestripador »

I personally like having my boot loader incorectlly configured for windows, so when others go to use my computer they are auto-logged into linux mint. Having to edit root boot partitions after dropping out of graphical grub pretty much keeps my XP side clean. To keep it extra clean, never load the network drivers, or disable if its already enabled.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

How did Linux Mint change my life?

It didnt. It has just made me lazy! :cry:

Used to be I would install Fedora, go to the guide site, install the non free repo then the graphics driver. Reboot into the proper resolution then go back and install all the codecs. Then I would do a 500MB update to get current breaking the install with the new kernel upon reboot. Reboot back into the old kernel and hit the forum for the quick fix, which needs repeated with every new kernel install, usually once every week or so. Then you would have to set up all the various things like printers and samba and such. This was fun!

But now, Mint has gone and ruined it all. Now I just do a few mouse clicks and I am there. Thanks Mint... :wink:
willxtreme

Post by willxtreme »

FedoraRefugee wrote:How did Linux Mint change my life?

It didnt. It has just made me lazy! :cry:

Used to be I would install Fedora, go to the guide site, install the non free repo then the graphics driver. Reboot into the proper resolution then go back and install all the codecs. Then I would do a 500MB update to get current breaking the install with the new kernel upon reboot. Reboot back into the old kernel and hit the forum for the quick fix, which needs repeated with every new kernel install, usually once every week or so. Then you would have to set up all the various things like printers and samba and such. This was fun!

But now, Mint has gone and ruined it all. Now I just do a few mouse clicks and I am there. Thanks Mint... :wink:
LoL now the one billion dollars question, "Did you enjoy doing all those steps in order to make your system "usable"? :P

I used to keep on my flash drive a folder named Linux in which I had tons of tutorials to make w/e distro work properly (Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Opensuse, Mandriva, etc.) but since I've started using Linux Mint, all those tutorials are gone except how to auto mount a drive :P
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Actually, I always did like tinkering with Fedora. It taught me a lot and I was always playing, even to the extent of using rawhide stuff much of the time. But now my interest in linux is waning. I have other things going on in my life and I just need computers that work with no fuss. I wouldnt say Mint was "better" than Fedora, or any other distro, just that it is different and excels at what it does.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

Linux Mint hasn't changed my life (don't see how it could do that), but since installing it last week Mint has been my main system every day. I also have openSUSE 11.1 and Ubuntu 9.04 installed. If a Windows user was seriously thinking of trying Linux I would recommend Mint.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

syred wrote:FedoraRefugee Fedora is not that bad as you describe, im saying this coz everything you said was about codecs and stuff, even in windows Svista, you have to install codecs!!!,

Not a big deal, A) Install codecs, B) Install updates C) Install drivers, even a Windows simple task of a fresh installation.
In a user-based opinion, fedora is somewhat like an ubuntu without yum instead of apt-get

I give to Mint a +, for the very nice artwork, and the key here, its "serious" (but i believe the icons could be done even better :P) . Take for example fedora, uses plymouth (nice technology, very super but yet.......), you'll probably have to configure your grub.conf with the vesa drivers in order to get rid of the ugly startup text-mode progress bar, and in my opinion: when you will booting you will see planets star wars commits and who knows what else... bg's and stuff resembles to me more to a cartoon. (including the GDM Screens)

But when you startup mint, you get a Logo and a nice graphical bar by default (usplash), the GDM is serious, simple and nice, the menus/panels are shorted out, thats the first feeling, but when you start using it you see everything is as you like it to. by those simple little things the user is affected & maybe even you (you may not be able to notice) now think about the more important things like the mint tools and their role of everything you find in mint. even a little small black dot that will help you to get your eye in the right place you want to find something, without hard-colors around tiring you.

But we are off-topic now cos this is "How mint saved your life" and not "mint vs fedora" :P
And you have used Fedora for how long? But yes, I did exaggerate just a bit, I thought my post was obvious tongue in cheek. Fedora is for the moderatly technically inclined. You will have to use the terminal, you will have to use Google and the forum, you will have to cut and paste commands and follow directions, but all in all it is not hard. It is also fairly stable for what it is, sometimes the new kernel will break things, but not as often as I let on. Yum update is a bit like playing Russian Roulette with one chamber loaded. It is going to get you sooner or later but your chances are still pretty good with each spin. As far as codecs, Fedora is trying to make it a more automatic procedure, but the best way is to still do a long "yum install a b c d e f g" and do everything at once. There are several guides that allow a copy and paste of all the codecs you would ever need. Because Fedora has a philosophy to remain free (open source wise) the non free repo and drivers can be a bit of a pain too until you know the routine.

You go on about Plymouth. I think Ubuntu 9.10 will be getting this so Mint probably will also. Why would you use the vesa driver? You need to install your proprietary 3D driver. If plymouth is not working it is a simple screen resolution issue that is easily fixed, just search for it in the Fedora forum. With the release of F11 I am sure there will be many threads on this one.
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

Linux in general changed my life by giving me back a computer I spent months researching, hesitating over, and finally buying. HP & Windows declared it dead but being persistent paid off. Thanks to Linux, it was resurrected and I'm not out my precious money. :)

Mint in specific has given me courage to read/follow CLI terminals, learn more about Linux, and try my hand at designing a few wallpapers. I've gained confidence when I say, I use Linux or I use Mint because it's more than just me clicking around.

Windows cripples computer users. Computers are like cars, you should have to pass a drivers test to drive one. At least, that's how I feel about it after helping friend after friend tell me how they broke this or broke that because they were tinkering around with Windows. If it isn't broken- LEAVE IT ALONE! Oh wait, windows is broken. My bad!
paleale

Post by paleale »

Now let me see how Linux Mint changed my life. For start I can watch more TV whilst my missus is on my computer whilst she is surfing or just playing the countless games that are available (of course) for all of Linux.I don't have to hear her constant "why doesn't this page load up?, "why do I get error 12345678.... whatever on my screen honey? why is windows telling me I don't don't have the codecs to view these files and hang on a second what are codecs, is that a new drink?" or "honey I need help using such and such". It's wonderful and the best part is she doesn't know she is using Linux. I have been using Linux Mint since release 2 and it's just been one great package.I have been trying to change her ways and away from Windows to Linux without any success until now. I didn't have to teach her anything special, she just sat in front of my computer whilst I was out and several hours later she finished her ebaying and surfing without any problems. I looked at her and told her you know you have just used Linux Mint all that time and without you calling my name once for help.Guess what her reply was?" Nope you know I can't use Linux", so I left it at that and continued on with watching TV with a great big smile on my face. I love Linux Mint it's been one awesome distro of choice and Clem and the crew certainly are getting it right. Keep up the good work and yes it has changed me and my missus but she doesn't know it yet.....

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”