Regarding Ubuntu 7.04 vs. Later Mint Versions...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Regarding Ubuntu 7.04 vs. Later Mint Versions...

Postby Quicksilver 689 on Wed May 23, 2007 9:26 am

I was someone who switched away from Ubuntu Edgy 6.10 to Mint 2.0 primarily because of not wanting to deal with audio/video player and codec related things myself, and of course Mint took care of all that right out of the box :)

I would like to get some feedback from those of you who have checked out Ubuntu 7.04 on how it handles these things today vs. how it used to. Is it more straight-forward now, and if so, do you find that you get things with later versions of Mint that you don't get with Ubuntu 7.04?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Music Is The One True Universal Language
James 1:2-5,12
Quicksilver 689
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Wed May 23, 2007 12:33 pm

I don't think Mint's added value relies in the presence of the codecs. Sure it's nice to have codecs installed, but that was already easy in Edgy and it's even easier now in Feisty. Mint aims at making the desktop a better place, the codecs are just a small part in the equation.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Quicksilver 689 on Wed May 23, 2007 12:40 pm

Thx for the feedback Clem, appreciate your response! :)

What can anyone tell me about, say, Ubuntu's ability to mount ext. USB hard drives and/or recognize NTFS/FAT32 partitions? Can it do this automagically like Mint does, or is that just one of the things that makes Mint rock? /m/ :D
Music Is The One True Universal Language
James 1:2-5,12
Quicksilver 689
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Wed May 23, 2007 2:33 pm

Everything Mint does you can do on Ubuntu. The two distributions are compatible. Mint does all that and that's what makes Mint different. Some of the things Mint does are trivial (in your example you can install ntfs-config in Ubuntu for instance), others are complex. It's not how different to Ubuntu Mint is that matters it's how good of a desktop it gives to its users. In that regard Ubuntu including some of our innovations is a good thing cause even if it makes both distros more similar on a technical point of view it allows us to have our technology better tested and better translated, and so as far as we are concerned it improves the quality of our own distribution.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby ceti on Wed May 23, 2007 3:02 pm

1 - Since Edgy Eft there are several reports that Ubuntu, at random times, drops your Internet connection, so you have to reboot. Actually, it happenned to me;

2 - With MintDesktop you can easily add your Home folder to the panel, add or remove Trash, Home, Computer etc to Desktop;

3 - Mint forums have a better, not-so-convoluted design, so usually you get answers to your questions more quickly, although less users connected;

4 - Mint is beautiful, Ubuntu is a little dull.

Cheers
Sorry, but that's the way it is.
ceti
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Chat about Linux Mint