Mint Rocks!!!!!!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Mint Rocks!!!!!!

Postby gman on Fri May 25, 2007 8:21 pm

I am a former PCLinuxOS user who swore I would not go to another dsitro. I just bought a new laptop and had problems with PCLinuxOS. I tried Ubuntu and Kubutnu and while tyhey worked, they were not offering anything special. I decided to try Mint. I have to say Mint rocks!!!!!!!!

Mint will be to Ubuntu what PCLicuxOS was to Mandrake. I have no doubt that within six months Mint will be top of Linux distors. Based on my experience I have two how to docs in the works to make the transition to Mint easier for new users. MINT ROCKS. Wow you have have a awesome distro!!!!!!!!
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Sat May 26, 2007 12:37 pm

waoo.. thanks :)

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby antiquexray on Sat May 26, 2007 1:10 pm

I have to agree with respect to Mint. I've been messing around with different distros for about 3 years now trying many different ones, but I always come back to mint.

I recently tried PClinusOS as well. On one computer I couldn't get passed the wireless setup, and on another it wouldn't boot to the livecd.

Following Shane Joe Larar's, made one of my older boxes a dual boot with Mint and XP. Mint runs just fine on it (it has a 1200 MHz chip) but XP is really jerky.

After some more experimenting, I'm going to make my main laptop dual boot as well. Linux provides me with all the tools I need about 95% of the time. In those cases were I really need MS, I'll just boot to that.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Adler on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:14 pm

Hi All,

I've used SuSE since 9.0, tried all the latest 10+ stuff, ran Ubuntu since their first release, but love the Mint!

Truly a great Linux Distro.

Thanks Clem.

Adler
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jeff_s on Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:53 pm

Yup, Mint is fantastic.

I, too, just tried PCLinuxOS 2007. It's a very very nice looking distro, and it's fast, and has really good GUI config tools. But it's repo is somewhat lacking, and it failed to properly detect my video and have 3d acceleration enabled.

I'm also a fan of Ubuntu. All around, Ubuntu is one of the best. Some much stuff "just works", and works well, both on the hardware detection side and the software side.

And then Mint takes the fantastic base of Ubuntu and adds it's own very very nice touches - great themes/LnF, extra gui config tools, It's own software portal, and of course pre-installed codecs.

That's really really tough to beat.

Great job, Clem and crew!
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?" - George Carlin

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
jeff_s
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nelamvr6 on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:57 pm

Oh yeah! Loving the Mint!

I'm planning on installing Mint on my niece's computer, Mint is the first distro that I fell I can inflict on window$ users without totally losing them!

Long live Mint! :P :D
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Patrissimo on Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:23 am

I goofed up my home computer trying to dual boot with xp and another distro, wiped it out completely. So I installed Mint as my only OS.

I live in Thailand, where I can buy pirated software for next to nothing at any shopping mall. So I thought I'd play with Mint until I hit a wall and had to go back to Windows and it's related software. After all, I'm not very computer savvy.

Well, that was a couple of months ago. Mint is still my only OS, I'm still waiting to hit that wall. There isn't anything that I've been unable to do (except play poker at my favorite poker site.)

What a great distro!
Patrissimo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux Mint