Kernel vulnerabilities

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Old Marcus

Kernel vulnerabilities

Post by Old Marcus »

You may have noticed Ubuntu reported kernel vulnerabilities and urged users to upgrade. Since Mint is Ubuntu based, should there not be an announcement made?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-Kern ... 5673.shtml
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Kernel vulnerabilities

Post by exploder »

There was a discussion about this somewhere in the forum. Most users would not be effected by this. In my opinion, if everything is working properly it is probably best to leave the kernel alone. The vulnerability mentioned is a denial of service vulnerability, what are the odds of the causing any real problems with a regular user? I am using a 2.6. 30 Debian kernel to resolve the Intel issue on my system, it has the same vulnerability and I have no plans of upgrading the kernel because of this. If I were a corporate user I would consider upgrading the kernel but as a home user I would rather not chance hardware issues from updating. This is just my opinion and you should of course do what you think is best for your needs.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

No, there is another thread where someone provided details on the kernel upgrade, it was very informative. I have seen too many people have problems with kernel updates in the past, Compiz breaking, hardware not working, etc. To me, if it's not broke why fix it.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Thanks Fred! That's the thread!
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Thanks for clearing this one up. :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”