I agree with Clem

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheWhiteDemon

I agree with Clem

Post by TheWhiteDemon »

I read Clem's comments in this article:

http://blog.ibeentoubuntu.com/2009/07/m ... -pans.html

and I have to say I absolutely agree. I am very grateful for Mint getting me started in Linux but the point raised in this article is a huge reason why I switched to Sabayon instead. With Sabayon I get rolling updates that don't seem to have the problems version to version that I experienced with Ubuntu and Mint. Plus with Sabayon I don't ever have to reinstall for newer versions, but that's a side note.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: I agree with Clem

Post by emorrp1 »

Yeah, rolling releases are cool, but I like being safe in the knowledge that no matter how much cruft I fill my install with, it'll be cleaned up again in less than 6 months time (I have a custom package I install to re-grab the software I actually need).
proxima_centauri

Re: I agree with Clem

Post by proxima_centauri »

It's just a matter of opinion.
I ran Mint 4 & 5 with relatively little problems on my laptop.
I now run Arch Linux with relatively little problems on my laptop, which is rolling release.

I accept the fact that something may break - and that I may need to do extensive research/writing .conf files/downgrading to fix it. For me the constant 6 month release is a hassle - maybe once they smooth it over so it can actually be recommended to upgrade via the internet rather than a clean LiveCD install I will consider it. But right now I prefer little increments along the way. This is why I use the rolling-release. If I wanted to lower the chances of something breaking, and seek a little more stability - I would choose a distribution like Mint.

Each has positives and negatives. :D

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”