Virgin Linux User

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Virgin Linux User

Post by iironjade »

I guess big name developers don't bother because there's no money in it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Ferrsai wrote:......Here is my question, why wouldn't big name developers want to flock over to the Linux scene and drop us some titles? However, gaming isn't the main thing holding me back from making Linux my primary OS.
Great work!
First, welcome to the party.

Second, just some random thoughts and opinions:

(1) According to the Microsoft marketing department they own 107.86% of the desktop market so why would anyone develop software for anything else. :wink:

(2) If a commercial outfit were to consider developing for Linux also they would have to produce 2 applications - one for windows and one for linux. There's an ever decreasing pool of developers. Everyone's getting MBAs these days. Then there's the issue of open source for them to get their heads around.

(3) On the server side ( where the real money is ), big name developers are writing software for Linux. In that environment the world is far more stable as linux server OS implementations are measured in years not months.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

Ferrsai wrote: I had an issue finding webex support for Linux...
Did you really try because I just did a quick search re webex and Ubuntu and quite a few are using it fine. There are some posts on how to make it work. After all webex is just a Java app which should work. I think it just needs path variables set correctly. I will leave you to do the searching...
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Ferrsai wrote:I had an issue finding webex support for Linux and I am not sure if I am comfortable using programs that differ from the class requirements
Should I run into some difficulties, running different software might compound the problem and make it more difficult to figure out. I don't plan on giving up anytime soon though, and I won't be giving Vista a goodbye kiss either. XD
http://support.webex.com/support/system ... ments.html
Anyway, Webex is available..

If they (public service, businesses) actually went open source, then there is other software available, just as good as such products..
--you could understand it in a business sense, being that there would be less tax advantage to using cheaper (Foss) products rather than large/expensive commercial ones.

And in general, commercial enterprises/developers are not much interested in the extra percentage available to them if they also offered their products in Linux
--neither Nvidia not ATI seem to have this issue with providing their binary driver products to the Linux users..

Adobe's products,such as photoshop; which are particularly popular in the graphics field, even if the MAC was no better as a graphics machine than was any windows PC, is probably the best know example
--they had a chance when Disney wanted to use photoshop on their Linux machines..
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open ... to-Disney/
--circa 2003..
  • Last year, when the Walt Disney Co.s feature animation unit, in Burbank, Calif., announced that it was using Linux for digital animation work, speculation grew that Adobe Systems Inc. would finally port its products to Linux. To this day, however, Adobe has done no such thing.
Also for those developers, their can be fear of a Microsoft backlash, as they quite often have no compunction about dropping some product and buying/assembling, renaming or possibly making their own..

running different software might compound the problem ..
Obviously, but learning it would make you a better graduate
--its the same when you learn C++ there, if you mix it up with learning Pyhon, ruby, java, it can only help, even with the primary learning needed..

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”