Mint found a place on another PC !

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
terrorblader

Mint found a place on another PC !

Post by terrorblader »

Being totally bored today , I decided to fix and old PC I had laying around . I had a hunch that it had a power supply problem , and indeed it had . So , after replacing the supply I installed Mint 7 on it and "voila!" , the PC runs great !
Specs are as follows :
  • Athlon 64 2800+ @ 1.80 Ghz with 512 kB cache
    Asus A7K8N-E Deluxe Mainboard
    Asus N6600 TD (GeForce 6600 128 Mb memory on 128 bit I think)
    WD 80 Gig SATA drive
    DVD-RW
    18" Philips display
Compiz runs great on it , a lot better than on the laptop in my sig !
Looks like Mint found another home !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
delro

Re: Mint found a place on another PC !

Post by delro »

Good job!

I'm trying to do something similar with a rusty and dusty Pentium system (the processor still comes in a daughtercard :lol: ). I'm scouring local surplus shops because the mobo and the dead power supply use a strange looking connector. Doesn't come with built-in video too so I have to find a PCI GPU.

Pentium 133 (no MMX too). 64MB SDR RAM (never said SDR RAM for a very long time :o ). 10GB IDE HDD. (Will probably get a) GeForce 3/4 Ti PCI GPU. It will probably won't even run Mint and I would definitely never contemplate running Win9x even for the joy of retrocomputing - I have SheepShaver to run Mac OS 8 and 9 on my Mint host just for that. I'm thinking of running Damn Small, Puppy or #! so I can have a place to practice/learn bash/Python without being distracted by webstuffs. :)

EDIT: I got carried away and forgot the thread title. I promise I will try running Mint first (XFCE?) then proceed to the more minimalistic distros. :D :lol: :mrgreen:
lagagnon

Re: Mint found a place on another PC !

Post by lagagnon »

aim wrote:I have pentium MMX 233mhz, 96mb of ram, and a 2.98gb HDD
Stick with DSL on that machine.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”