Just had an idea that might be worth a look.
We all know that PPD production is important for folding teams. So I'm sure we all would like to squeeze extra out of our dedicated Linux Folding PCs.
Let's say you set up a dedicated Linux box to F@H and won't use it for anything but that. Then running unnecessary programs and services can bite into CPU usage thereby hindering PPD production. Why not install Linux Server with the alternate CD and choose not to install any additional packages. This will give you the most stripped down version you can get. Your basic command prompt Linux with network, no desktop, no apps, no gui's, etc.... I think you get the point. From there, use all the command prompts to install and run your client.
Haven't tried this yet but will be, although everything will be command prompt, this should greatly decrease CPU usage by anything other than your F@H client. I'll let you all know how it goes.
*EDIT* Got it up and running
Core_b4, 10007 (R3791, C2, G0)
1) Athlon 1400 (1.4GHz) Single core, FAH6.02 in Ubuntu Server with no desktop. Averaging 1% @ 12mn (not sure if this is good or not, trying to find comparison info, if needed I'll install the desktop and see what it produces from there)
2) Athlon 1400 (1.4GHz) Single core, FAH6.02 in Ubuntu Server with gnome desktop, client running in terminal on desktop. Averaging 1% @ 17mn,
I didn't think it was going to be that much of a difference. That's 500mn longer (8.33hr Longer).
3) Currently looking for an extremely light weight Distro to test on.
Time to finish job at current rates:
1) Would finish the job in 1200mn (20hr)
2) Would finish the job in 1700mn (28.33hr)
3) Results coming soon