Infection!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shadowriser

Infection!

Post by Shadowriser »

Work for a ISP company. Person was using windows 98 and compaq would no longer support it :P Advise customer to try out Linux :evil: Hope they do not review that call!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Infection!

Post by Alpha-Geek »

I don't see a problem with that advice. Sounds intelligent & well-reasoned.
beauvin

Post by beauvin »

Excellent Shadowriser, the world needs more people like you :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Excellent Shadowriser, the world needs more people like you
I second that! :D
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

That is great advise. The only downside I can see is that the person probably would have no idea on how to go about it. I hope you gave him/her some pointers.
Shadowriser

Post by Shadowriser »

I told the customer about Linuxmint.com and how helpful people are here on the forums for new users. I also explained how the live CD works and to try it FIRST before installing.
lexon

Post by lexon »

Next time send the caller a free CD or DVD with Mint from your home address. I have done that a few times the past three years. It was either Ubuntu and now Mint. I send out if someone is interested but does not know how to download and burn a ISO. Not expensive at all.
I just wish I had software to make a nice looking CD/DVD label. Magic marker is not very good.

lex
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Pretty good advice
--except knowing the compaq model # might or might not change that opinion

Linux with enough RAM on that old Compaq will likely ran as fast, but with multiuser and better security
--win9x had none
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

DrHu wrote: Linux with enough RAM on that old Compaq will likely ran as fast, but with multiuser and better security
--win9x had none
Win 98se rocked when it came to game play, my old aptiva P3 450 ran like the clappers with 98. slowed down to almost a crawl with 2000 but was very stable and responsive with xp.

im running LM7 on a P4 evo Compaq 1.8GHz with 2GB of ram and Nvidia 6600GT AGP inside this low profile pc and the performance is not too shabby.

i personally believe that most of the performance issues i had with LM was graphic card related. it ran AWFUL with the intel integrated video and noticed a huge performance gain when the 6600GT went in.
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”