A Tribute to Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mstng_67

A Tribute to Linux Mint

Post by mstng_67 »

Greetings,

Several months ago my in-laws contacted me about their computer. Needless to say it literally did not function. Beyond a virus and malware plagued XP operating system, the bearings in the fans were making noise and the hard-drive was knocking. The machine itself was worthless. I had enough parts and pieces around to build a replacement; however, I wasn't in the financial position to purchase another Windows license and my in-laws weren't about to do it either. I suggested Mint to which they promptly agreed (the price was right). I installed the OS and hooked everything up for them. I copied their documents from the old XP disk (that took a while as the disk was on the brink of failure).

My in-laws are by no stretch computer gurus. They are novice casual users that check emails, type/print documents, and occasionally view a picture of the grandkids or a funny video. It only took about five minutes to show them how to use the new system. I haven't received any calls since about performance problems, or anything else for that matter! They use it everyday; and it just works!

They are especially pleased that they don't have to worry (as much) about malware, viruses, and other nasties. They absolutely love it.

It's one thing for an advanced/power user to love Linux, but Mint made Linux lovable by the average Joe. Kudos to the Mint team!

Best,

Micheal
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: A Tribute to Linux Mint

Post by grimdestripador »

Sounds great!!! Woot helping others. +1 Karma.

A philosophy of mine.
Linux works, it takes an expert to get it configured for all to use it. Once it is, it stays that way and continues to work.
Windows is working, it constantly interrupts your working environment and tries to configure itself to what you are doing. It constantly distracts you with important operation unrelated to what your working on. It downloads its own virus,mall ware, and constantly reconfigures it self as (easy to use), but highly inconsistent.

So you got linux working, because we trust the experts like clem and the community crew. For if it wern't 't for them, I would have to reconfigure my comptuer to accomplish what I want.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Congrats on your new Mint experience. IT IS wonderful isn't it!

Clem a crew did an amazing job!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
themew

Post by themew »

Did the same for my mom who lives very far and had nothing but speed problems until she somehow got a massive trojan in XP that completely disabled her laptop.

After being so tired of all the problems (she is also in no way technical) I showed her my latop with Mint 7 -- she was impressed, so I scrubbed her drive and installed Mint 7. That was several months ago... Now she tells me the only thing she has to do is "when the lock is open, do the updates" and she had no issues, problems, slow downs etc etc.

Question is, where can we buy the bumper stickers that say "Linux Mint - It Just Works..." :)
mstng_67

Post by mstng_67 »

What I find interesting is that there is another thread going about how one can't just expect any OS to work "Out of the box." While I agree that this is an unreasonable expectation of any OS, I have yet to install Mint on any hardware and have it not work "Out of the box." It is just simply that good!

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=29923

Once again, cheers to the Mint crew!
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

That's a great story about your In-Laws. I switched my parents to Linux well over a year ago, and the frantic calls for PC help have drastically diminished. It really is nice when something just works.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”