Extremely impressed!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vex390

Extremely impressed!

Post by vex390 »

I was a windows user for quite some time. but then, i suddenly came under this understanding, windows is too expensive and pirating is wrong. so i went with the cheapest alternative, linux. i had posted in forums, asked about questions and concerns before i switched. somehow i came under the idea that pclinuxos was the distro for me. being my first linux experience, i faced many bugs and errors just off of boot. i learned every day about it but my frustration with the os grew as bugs started to develop in the os automatically. it took me two weeks to come to the conclusion that i should try a different distro, and boy was i right. i got on distro watch and looked for the most appealing one graphically, since they all pretty much said the same thing about features. i chose mint and fedora to try out. i tried linux mint and was so impressed that i haven't bothered with fedora. there were no errors except during install, and the only driver i had to install was my wireless adapter's which mint did for me. i just had to plug in my ethernet cord. the conveinience of accessing programs through one main source was actually a burden switching from windows to linux, but now seems to be an advantage. the walkthroughs and tutorials that are out on the internet just for this os is really nice. a week and a half out of the box and i have the gui looking exactly like windows. this is more of a testimony from switching to windows to linux but mint compared to pclinuxos really did ease the passing. unlike windows, linux provides driver support out of the box and your arsenal of programs are at your command via synaptic. you guys made an awesome OS!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintnoob

Re: Extremely impressed!

Post by mintnoob »

I second that. I just installed Mint 7 today (dual boot with XP on my laptop) after taking a spin with the live CD yesterday, and so far very impressed. No hardware or software issues so far. Feels like a real solid OS.

I had tried Linux a couple of years ago and settled on Ubuntu. It was good after the painful process of figuring out how to install everything, but switched back to Winmonopoly because of lagging Linux video software (not Ubuntu's fault). Hope video software is better by now.

I had tried the newest Ubuntu live CD before Mint 7 and was very impressed also, but a Linux guru friend of mine recommended Mint and I read a lot of reviews praising Mint, so decided to try it out and very glad I did.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Great news! Welcome to Mint!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Welcome to LinuxMint!!

Hope you enjoy your stay. We're glad to have you here.
Capt Turk

Post by Capt Turk »

I'll have to agree. Mint seems to be the best I've come across, so far. I've found some things missing from Mint that were in other distros, but nothing that I haven't been able to find a work around for. One thing I found missing, that was in PCLinuxOS, is a GUI to easily repair/modify the MBR. It can be done in Mint, just not an obvious point and click method.

I tried a number of distros before ending up with Mint. A lot of problems, with all the distros, come from just not being compatible with some hardware. I installed Mint on my two desktops with no problem. Just stuck the CD in and installed. Everything worked. On my laptop, it was a different story. It did not like the 32 bit version of Mint. Settings wouldn't stick, the non-free driver installer crashed everytime. Half the time it wouldn't recognise my DVD drives. I ended up installing the 64 bit version, and the 2.26.30 kernel, and now everything seems to be stable, and work like it is supposed to. The only problem I have with it now is networking with a windows computer, and finding a driver for my Lexmark printer. These are not problems specific to Mint. Every distro, so far, has given problems with these two issues. I must say though, neither of these problems are the fault of linux/Mint, but the fault of the hardware manufacturers for not providing proper support for linux.

Anyway, welcome to Mint.
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Capt Turk wrote: One thing I found missing, that was in PCLinuxOS...
When I first tried Linux a couple of years ago, one distro I tried was PCL and I could never get PCL to recognize my Win partition and, therefore, couldn't swap files. I was able to with Ubuntu 7 at the time, but had to install patches to make it work. With Mint, nooo problem! It simply worked. (Isn't that PCL's motto?!)
I installed Mint on my two desktops with no problem. Just stuck the CD in and installed. Everything worked. On my laptop, it was a different story.
Mine kind of the other way around. When I tried the other distros years ago, it was on my desktop and always had problems. I just installed Mint 7 on my Dell laptop and had no problems. It took me a little while to figure out how to get my wifi card to work, but that's because I had trouble finding instructions (thanks for youtube instruction vids!). But the process to get my wifi card to work has super easy.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”