A computer for elderly citizens that runs Mint in the UK

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

A computer for elderly citizens that runs Mint in the UK

Post by Husse »

It's supposed to be extremely simple to use - just plug it in and run - so that elderly citizens (like me :)) without computer experience (not like me :)) can use it with ease
The project is called simplicity computers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: A computer for elderly citizens that runs Mint in the UK

Post by exploder »

That is a brilliant idea! Dang, why can't I think of things like that? :) Seriously, with a little advertising the company could really take off. That task oriented desktop is just what people that are afraid that technology is too complicated need. No viruses or maintenance to worry about either. Even the site keeps things short and simple, very nice. Also, the video tutorials is a nice touch, it couldn't be any easier!
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

There was already a thread started on this topic under "Chat about Linux and other Distributions".
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hmm - I thought this was about Mint so I did not look in that section
Heres the link
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

Husse wrote:Hmm - I thought this was about Mint so I did not look in that section
Heres the link
In a way, you're right. However Eldy is a front end that can be put on most Linux distros, and even (cough, cough) Win . . Wind . . . (can't say it).
Husse

Post by Husse »

Some call it Windows :mrgreen:
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

ruelito wrote:I am based in Dubai and been using Mint for more than a year now, Mint has been introduced to me by my cousin and I like it very much that I started fighting for a local newspaper here in Dubai because of an article that tells people not to use Linux because it is too complicated
an article that tells people not to use Linux because ...
I agree with you..

The article you showed is definitely biased against Linux, no denying that
  • You might even say it is biased against the old, since it exhibits an ageism attitude
Now, many people are under the impression that Linux has to either copy the windows OS or the MAC OS to be considered successful, in that those two platforms supposedly work out of the box (just run) what I want and are just so easy to use(friendly)
  • A genuine examination of facts would make it clear that this is not so..
--it only seems that way because of an appeal to popularity
And that (appeal to popularity) is a genuine fallacy.

Anyone who wants to: can call themselves a Guru
--it only behooves the user to decide if they are getting the straight facts or some distorted opinion(s)
http://grammar.about.com/od/ab/g/appeal ... leterm.htm

His email reply:
I would still urge anyone without a basic grounding in computing to steer clear..
In that, I think I agree, it would be better for everyone (user of the device/system) if they just didn't use a computer or any device like they might use, such as a car; without any understanding of it..
  • I just drive the car, I don't know how it works: if it breaks down I buy a new one
OK, that last line was a little joke, but in essence it can be the way some people operate in their use of a car
--since computers are cheaper than cars, well they might very well just buy a new one.

But to then say that it is only Linux that has to improve to match a dumbed down nature of the computer using customer (or at least as the advertisers ) seem to believe, is simply an argument without evidence..

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”