mezzoMint Community Edition?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

mezzoMint Community Edition?

Postby Poiema on Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:40 am

What do y'all think? Is a Community version of Mint featuring the Mezzo desktop of interest to anyone? I'm thinking something that uses the corners and maybe offers the 'widgets' but I'm not the most hip on the straight line restrictions they now have - I want to drag and drop them where I please. And a quality background and core of preinstalled software such as Linux Mint. I was also thinking that since the desktop utilizes Mozilla.... I wonder if Ajax programs such as AjaxWrite can be made to open right onto the desktop instead of in a browser window? mezzoMint could be sort of a concept Mint Community distro? Does anyone else have any ideas? Does anyone like this idea? At the moment I am just brainstorming and sharing with y'all. I don't know how long it may take to put something like this together, and I don't know if I'll personally have the time that's needed. Especially since when it comes to coding I am pretty much just a 'dabbler'.
Poiema
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby gcc on Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:00 pm

Things like ajaxwrite could be made to open in the standalone Gecko renderer, I believe. Would take some effort, maybe just dropping firefox into kiosk mode is really what you're looking for. R-Kiosk does a good job of it, although you probably want to generate two separate firefox profiles so you don't accidentally wind up turning your main web browser into a kiosk-only experience.

Here is how I wold do this:
1) go to your terminal. type firefox -ProfileManager
2) click "add", then go through the wizard. name it ajaxwrite or something.
3) click tools->addons->get extensions, then search for r-kiosk. install it.
4) create a launcher that does the following:
Code: Select all
firefox -P <profilename> http://us.ajax13.com/apps/write/content/index.html?doc=

click it, and you should be done.

As for mezzo, it has theoretically been ported over a ubuntu base system- thats what symphony is now- but even its developers say that its pretty buggy. I think- and keep in mind I'm not a dev here, just your average joe giving advice- that probably the best way to get mezzo to play nicely with mint is to get it to play nicely with symphony os, ensure that they release a patched deb, and then try to integrate it with mint. No sense in dividing the developer pool for such simiilar goals.
gcc
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Chat about Linux Mint