Distro hopper finally happy.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Distro hopper finally happy.

Post by ambertone »

Hi all, I started using Linux with Mandriva 9.2. (still have the disks) Over the years I've had a hot and cold love affair with Linux until I started to take it seriously with the release of Vista . PCLinuxOS in August 2007 was the Linux of choice.

Over the past few years I've used many distros, mainly KDE based until I started using Mint. Gnome does take some getting used to after KDE (hate to say it but Ubuntu IS "Monkey butt ugly") but one thing that turned me a little cool on KDE was the release of KDE4. Now KDE 4 looks fantastic and I was besotted with it BUT I notice the same problems I see in my computer business with customers who had "upgraded" from XP to Vista, the hardware started to struggle. Gnome give you good performance without as much "bling" but with fantastic stability and functionality.

I really do think Mint is "Ubuntu better", it is the perfect distro for both the new and the more advanced user. The inclusion of both Mint install and Synaptic bears witness to that. The forum is friendly and the community lively. Mint really is the perfect Linux distro.

My wife uses Mint (and we all know how much fun it is to get the wife away from Windows don't we?) as does my five year old daughter (a wizard with both XP and Mint on her dual boot machine, go figure)

Rod
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Distro hopper finally happy.

Post by DrHu »

Then you could have stuck with kde 3.x which worked well and was fully ironed..

I never particularly liked Gnome for its too simple approach to user options..
--but I do think that Linux Mint's 7 slab menus are much better than the usual Gnome (Mac style) taskbar/menubar with Places/Applications/System

If I compared kde 3.x to Gnome 2.x, I would find them similar enough (as in desktop use with mouse and so on..), except for the lack of customization for Gnome
--and certainly not as easy as in kde 3.x

Even though my graphics card can handle it, I also turn off all/most animations special effects in both Gnome and Kde to get snappier windows functions
  • That is just my preferred style, more performance than fancy effects/eye candy styles/themes, wallpapers, screensavers (all that bloat..)
Kde 4.x is completely different just like Gnome 3.x will be

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”