New Mint user

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

New Mint user

Postby carbon_unit on Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:14 pm

Hi all,

Since Xandros signed on with MS I have been distro surfing.
I had been with Xandros since the beginning but I had been getting the itch to look around anyway. The MS deal provided me with the impetuous to move.
First I went to PCLOS and it was OK but there were a few small things nagging me that were a just pain to work on. I'm not finding any of these problems with Mint yet.
Also I feel more at home with a Debian based distro instead of an RPM based distro.
I am more familiar with KDE but Gnome does not seem too bad so far, maybe it will grow on me. :D

Mint seems like a well rounded disrto with very well stocked repo's compared to Xandros. I like it! It seems like Ubuntu with more sparkle. Ubuntu is too bland for me.

So far I have it on my Lenovo T60 where it just fell on and works great. I had to use some restricted drivers but that is OK. My R61 was a different story however. I had to use safe video to get it to boot because of the Nvidia Quadro 140M video chipset. The Intel 4965 wireless is a no go so I plugged in an old Orinoco gold card for now. That let me get some updates downloaded. After the updates were installed ENVY had the option to install the correct drivers for my video. Now the only thing is the Intel HDA ich8 audio but that is not a big deal at this time. This R61 is just a play machine, the T60 is the work machine. If things go well I will put Mint on my wifes computer. That will be the acid test for me.

Keep up the good work Clem and crew!! :wink:
carbon_unit
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:43 am

Welcome to Mint carbon_unit
You keep up the good spirit to!
I don't like "normal gnome" with two bars, but I really like the MInt version with one bar and a "slab-like" menu - a touch of KDE in Gnome
If you need help don't hesitate to post in the forum
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby carbon_unit on Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:26 am

Thanks Husse, it is good to be here.
I like the preinstalled software, the menuing layout and the nice fonts, meaning I don't have to install those core fonts.
carbon_unit
Level 1
Level 1

Re: New Mint user

Postby thomasmoens on Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:56 pm

carbon_unit wrote:Since Xandros signed on with MS I have been distro surfing.

Good thing to quit distros who sign deals like that. I hope there are more people like you!
back after some years...
thomasmoens
Level 1
Level 1

Postby poision on Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:03 pm

Hi carbon unit you ll feel home here in fresh environment of mint i m sure.Yes gnome of mint is really good n selection of preinstalled packages are awesome.All this made mint suprise package of the year in distrowatch.
poision
Level 3
Level 3

Postby carbon_unit on Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:35 pm

thomasmoens wrote:
carbon_unit wrote:Since Xandros signed on with MS I have been distro surfing.

Good thing to quit distros who sign deals like that. I hope there are more people like you!

There are.
Xandros lost a lot of good people over there when they did that. All but one of us beta testers left. Some had gone as far as to host apps or even entire repo's. Right now they are trying to find someone to take them over so their effort is not completely lost.

I went through a very similar thing with BeOS back in 2001. I now know when it is time to move on so I grabbed my things and got out.
Some of those who have never seen a distro crumble before hung out for a few weeks flaming away at the company and those who chose to stay or they tried to make a statement with posts like"Cancel my account!". I learned years ago that these are wasted efforts that make the flamer look childish. The decision has been made, like it or leave.
I didn't like it, I left.
I was getting bored anyway, after 5 years I wondered what else was out there and on my way out the door I heard someone mention Mint. It stuck in the back of my mind while I tried PCLOS and now here I am. :D
I think I will like it here. I like a smaller, closer group than the busy PCLOS forums.
carbon_unit
Level 1
Level 1

Postby poision on Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:12 pm

Hi carbon unit i dont know why those few linux distro signed that agreement with ms.Linux world was having peace before that.Anyways mint is nice distro clem really gifted us a nice thing.Yeah mint community is smaller but really helpful.Do tell your mint experience.
poision
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux Mint