New default browser for Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wplj42

Re: New default browser for Linux Mint

Post by wplj42 »

Because I use Mac OS, Windows 7RC, and Linux Mint, I like the idea of having the same browser. I was upset that it took forever for Google to get the Chrome browser for the Mac. Guess I am over that as I use Chrome and Minefield in Mac OS more than Safari. I have just 384 megs assigned to Linux Mint in VirtualBox, as my Mac only has 1 gig total. I like Google Chrome just a touch more than Firefox. Opera is a problem for me in Mac OS. Otherwise it works really well in Linux Mint or Ubuntu. To each his own, I guess.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

willxtreme wrote:I highly recommend replacing Firefox
with Chromium-Browser

Chromium-Browser doesn't use much memory. It's amazing how fast it is.
It gets better as time goes on. I used to have some issues with flash but with
the latest updates everything just works.

If you happen to find a bug you can easily report it to make Chromium more robust :D. I've been using firefox for such a long time on windows and found that Opera was performing a bit better when it comes to Linux BUT, out of all the browsers available out there, Chromium stole my heart 8)

I highly recommend NOT doing this.
wplj42

Post by wplj42 »

garda ... Thanks. I added it (Omnibar) to Firefox 3.6 in Mac OS. Works nice, but I still kinda like Google Chrome a touch more. Chrome has its own look, or takes on the look of Linux Mint if desired. Safari and Firefox look too much like Windows now.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

The newer versions of Firefox, (3.5 and higher) have themes to make Firefox look exactly like Chrome browser, if that is your desire.
wplj42

Post by wplj42 »

Omnibar for Firefox doesn't seem to work as well for me as the address bar in Google Chrome.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

nelamvr6 wrote:
willxtreme wrote:I highly recommend replacing Firefox
with Chromium-Browser

I highly recommend NOT doing this.
Any particular reason? I have installed it from a .deb package, haven't added the ppa to the sources list so i don't know if i am going to get it's updates, and so far, it seems pretty solid and fast to me. Don't see why, the idea that it be made the default for Mint, should be so alarming, after all Firefox makes browsers that work better in Windows than in Linux.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

All these "My favorite browser is ___________ " posts are not on point. The OP was the question about changing the DEFAULT browser, that is the one installed by default with the downloaded Mint CD.

Until some other browser becomes more popular than Firefox, leave it as it is. Many Windows users are comfortable with Firefox. Those Windows users that are likely to even consider trying Linux, are most likely not Microsoft junkies, and are already using Firefox. If you prefer another browser, just install it. I hope the Mint development team is not even giving this any thought.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

If it wasn't so easy to install apps I'd join the fray, but seriously what difference does the default make anyway, don't like it just uninstall it and install what you want?? :roll:
wplj42

Post by wplj42 »

I didn't see it that way Waldo. Guess I was asleep at the wheel again. In another thread you will find some of us have had issues with VirtualBox for Mac and Linux audio running slow. Just yesterday, I was running a YouTube video in Google Chrome (LM8 & VB) only to find the audio was slow. Switched to Firefox and the problem went away. For that reason alone, I have to give a thumbs up to Firefox. I would not be in favor of changing to anything other than Firefox for the LM distro, or any other Linux. As for favorites, it is nice to have options. I mostly use Minefield in Mac OS. Even though I like Chrome, it just seems to turn out that way. Minefield is as quick as anything I've used.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

This is one of the 'cool' things and a major attraction about using Linux/GNU . . . Freedom of Choice!

If you don't like it ... change it.
If you want or don't want it ... install or delete it.

Check it out, play with it ... keep it or not ... it's your choice.

No need to argue about which is best ... just to 'discuss' what works for you. :mrgreen:
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

In the new and coming Chrome OS . . . Opera wants to be the default browser?

http://www.chrometecha.blogspot.com/

Makes one wonder about the Chrome browser ... if their own OS doesn't make it the default browser? :(
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

I read that it states that opera would be part of the extensions of Chrome, so that's not really making it default but just another option.
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Imagus »

Oh please, don't spoil Mint with Chromium! Google's browser is one giant piece of spyware. More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chr ... e_tracking

If you really want to replace good old Firefox with Chromium, please consider installing the SRWare Iron browser, which is exactly the same as Chromium, only without all the privacy issues. Iron for Linux may still be in beta stage, but I've been using for a while now and it really works great.

More info on Iron here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRWare_Iron

If you want to give it a try, you can download Iron here: http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Please keep Google out of Mint!
lexon

Post by lexon »

Imagus wrote:Oh please, don't spoil Mint with Chromium! Google's browser is one giant piece of spyware. More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chr ... e_tracking

If you really want to replace good old Firefox with Chromium, please consider installing the SRWare Iron browser, which is exactly the same as Chromium, only without all the privacy issues. Iron for Linux may still be in beta stage, but I've been using for a while now and it really works great.

More info on Iron here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRWare_Iron

If you want to give it a try, you can download Iron here: http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Please keep Google out of Mint!
Hello Imagus, where have you been??

Too late Mint is IN Google. Mint sold out some time ago to help keep Mint going. Google, like Microsoft is invading everywhere. Firefox is doing the same. Money talks.
Any large business is going to do this. We cannot get away from it.

Lex
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Imagus »

lexon wrote: Hello Imagus, where have you been??

Too late Mint is IN Google. Mint sold out some time ago to help keep Mint going. Google, like Microsoft is invading everywhere. Firefox is doing the same. Money talks.
Any large business is going to do this. We cannot get away from it.

Lex
What do you mean, "Mint is in Google"... I was just saying that I think that Mint should not adopt Chrome as the default browser, that's all. Mint is free and open source, so why should it include a proprietary browser that only pretends to be open, but is in fact an ugly piece of spyware? Haven't you read the news lately? Take a look at this article for example: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/25 ... losedness/. Also read the articles on Wikipedia (see my other post for links) and do some more research.

But of course, I wouldn't be surprised if they (Mint) decide to replace Firefox with Chrome after all. It wouldn't be the first time Mint stirs up a controversy. If they were truly "open", they would make Iron the default browser, not Chrome. Or just keep Firefox as the default browser, and let those who really want to use Google's spy-browser install it themselves.
nukm

Post by nukm »

Why settle for just their browser?
Their new Open (but closed) software model is all the vogue now. And the Jobsian proprietary hardware model is so attractive.
Course - if they have the icon and the tasteful colors...who could resist?
Make sure everything matches the drapes.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”