Linux: Tricks of the Trade -- tips from our members

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux: Tricks of the Trade -- tips from our members

Post by dagon »

Sorry for moving your post around. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did! :oops:
everready wrote: http://www.noobslab.com/2012/02/install ... speed.html

I'm new to all of this "sudo" "apt-get" commands so this was a perfect opportunity to sharpen my skills "green pea skills" after entering this command..

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/firefox-aurora
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get firefox
Unfortunately the tutorial you followed has a bug in it. The last command should be:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install firefox
Then you shouldn't have to do anything else but start surfing the web again and cry over all your plug-ins that has stopped working because they're not compatible anymore... :cry:
Here's another link showing the ppa, what's in it and how to install. The name of the package is firefox, not aurora. The name aurora is used instead of version number since the version number is always about to change.
http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/firefox_aurora

Bug 2. apt-get upgrade doesn't take an argument so I think "sudo apt-get upgrade aurora" was just interpreted as "sudo apt-get upgrade". But since you had already installed firefox and it was up to date nothing related to this package was updated.
everready

Post by everready »

After everything was ship shape i uninstalled that package and reinstalled the latest Firefox build. A lot of experimenting going on its like being a kid in a candy store.. :D

Thanks..
everready

That build wasn't 13 it turns out it was 12.02 :?
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

The newest, most improved, updated (June 19, 2012) version of: "How to Ask Questions the Smart Way"

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Not only does this link expand and refine the list but, also, provides lengthy responses as to why and resources to try.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

vrkalak wrote:"How to Ask Questions the Smart Way"
That should be compulsory reading :!: :!: :!:
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
w2ibc

Post by w2ibc »

ndiswrapper howto. http://www.w2ibc.com/articles.php?article_id=1

works for pretty much all the distros.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I found that turning off hardware acceleration in Adobe Flash eliminated the instability problems that are so common with Flash on Linux.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
geoffm

Post by geoffm »

Some handy applications you might not know:
  • Easystroke You can assign system-wide mouse gestures to commands and keyboard shortcuts. I use it for a lot of interface functions: close program, close tab. minimize, maximise, go back, go forward, go up, refresh, etc. So efficient, when you get on computers that don't have this, you suffer.
  • Guake: a "drop-down terminal". Assign a keyboard shortcut ([Shift][Alt] in my case) to toggling the terminal's visibility. Instantly access your terminal all the time, dont loose your windows, etc! (on KDE try yakuake!)
  • There's a lot more stuff you can customize that's not in the numerous "System settings" sub-applications. install dconf-editor and playaround in it. Make sure you checkout the org.gnome directory, but browser around because nice tweaks are hidden here and there
  • For a good note-tacking application or general content / tasks organizer, try Zim wiki. I've tried several note-taking applications before settling on this one, I use it professionnaly at work to keep organized. One of my best productivity assets.
  • Don't like evince's limited interface? For a more decent PDF viewer, try okular. It doesn't require a lot of KDE packages. If you want the best of the best, try running PDF-Xchange Viewer in Wine.
  • Disapointed of transmission's primitivity? Miss Window's µtorrent? Try Deluge! Very efficient yet simple GTK+ bit torrent client with a neat interface.
  • For a better calculator, try speedcrunch. It has a multi-line output that keeps a history of your operations.
You should find most of them in the repositories.
PcMojo

Post by PcMojo »

What I have been learning recently, is how to search the forums better. I've had to ask questions that I'm certain others have asked before. In fact, I remember reading similar posts but just can't remember the answer. Here's a few search tips:

from: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83314
by xenopeek on July 20th, 2012, 5:35 am
The site search can be fussy. For easier search, consider doing a site search with your favourite search engine. Yahoo, Duck Duck Go and Google (and possibly others) all support the same syntax for doing a site seach. For example, to search for "cinnamon llvm" on Linux Mint, you would give the search query:

cinnamon llvm site:linuxmint.com
You can then use your search engine's search tools to further narrow your search.
Also, on another thread, sunewbie & mrjoeyman have been working on custom searches that search multiple preselected ubuntu answer sites. Here is the thread:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=81392
Here is the search site: http://home.windstream.net/joelwest/
or a similar site http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=01760 ... _owgx6xyi0

I put one of these on my Firefox toolbar so it is just a click away, and it's saved me hours of searching and kept me from posting many questions that have already been answered (but not all :lol: ). These searches will greatly cut down the huge clutter a normal search will bring back from a generic search engine. I hope this helps!
geoffm

Post by geoffm »

I just discovered the most awesome feature (cinnamon/gnome)
in dconf-editor / org.gnome.desktop.interface / can-change-accels
Enabling this will allow you to change the keyboard shortcuts associated to menu items. Just hit the keyboard key you want associated while you hover the mouse on the menu item.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

A great Guide for Debian put together my members of another Forum.

A Beginners Guide to Debian
https://docs.google.com/document/previe ... CWkDNFi5Wo
bkwapisz

Post by bkwapisz »

Here is a tip from a Newbie to other newbies: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. This sounds like common sense, and I assume I have none, because I just spent the ENTIRE weekend trying without success to SIMPLY put Linux Mint on a desktop. Today I did some more Google scholaring and read within the first page of instructions where I went wrong and I feel VERY stupid.

The problem was that when I burned the DVD, I did so as DATA, and not an image. The image choice is the correct one. Makes opposite sense to me, but I am just now starting to learn Linux and UNlearn Windows.

Hopefully someone else will have had this problem and I'm not alone.

Cheers, Brian.
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

bkwapisz wrote:Here is a tip from a Newbie to other newbies: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. This sounds like common sense, and I assume I have none, because I just spent the ENTIRE weekend trying without success to SIMPLY put Linux Mint on a desktop. Today I did some more Google scholaring and read within the first page of instructions where I went wrong and I feel VERY stupid.

The problem was that when I burned the DVD, I did so as DATA, and not an image. The image choice is the correct one. Makes opposite sense to me, but I am just now starting to learn Linux and UNlearn Windows.

Hopefully someone else will have had this problem and I'm not alone.

Cheers, Brian.

This is not related to Linux anymore than Windows, but you are 100 % right! :)

The same rule applies to Windows though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image

ISO is a specific type of Data DVD that includes the image filesystem.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Most Useful Linux Commands:
> http://techosolutions.wordpress.com/2013/10/10/a-z-linux-commands/
rahulnaag

Post by rahulnaag »

A-Z Linux Commands

http://techosolutions.wordpress.com/2013/10/10/a-z-linux-commands/
Viriatu

Post by Viriatu »

Lots of great info for a newbie! maybe one sugestion to any mods available, some links go to dead pages and contents. maybe some spring cleaning is in order, but not complaining at all! i won some days reading most of this links! thanks guys.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

10 Great Free Alternatives to AutoCAD

http://blog.cometdocs.com/10-great-free ... to-autocad

AutoCAD is the most used computer program for people who need to create 2D and 3D drawings and diagrams, especially in industries such as architecture, interior design and engineering. Being that it is the industry standard, it is also quite an expensive program to buy.

If you are looking to get into AutoCAD and this type of design work, but you are not yet certain if it is for you, there are some free alternatives out there that you can try which work similarly.

Also, if you need some 2D and 3D design work done and don’t have the money to spring for AutoCAD, here are some great, completely free alternatives to check out.

1. QCAD

This is an application that will allow you to draft two dimensions objects. It’s a great tool for all types of technical drawings, works for Windows, Mac OS X and many Linux and Unix Systems, and of course, it is completely free.

2. Creo Elements

One of the more popular choices for 3D work. It is a very fast and flexible alternative to AutoCAD with many options included that AutoCAD is known for having.

3. Google SketchUp

Just as Google seems to have an alternative for just about any paid program you can think of, it has an AutoCAD alternative as well. SketchUp has been lauded as a very versatile and easy-to-use alternative for design students and professionals.

4. FreeCAD

This is an Open Source 3D modeler that works great for mechanical engineering and product design. The program can help in various types of design and modeling programs and runs exactly the same way on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux platforms.

5. DraftSight

Great software for students, professionals and teachers which can be used to create, edit and view all types of DWG files, which is the most common format for most CAD-related applications.

6. BRL-CAD

A cross-platform and open source solid modeling system that has a bunch of different features to offer, including interactive geometry editing, image and signal-processing tools and large libraries for making tons of different types of geometric representations.

7. gCAD3D

This free software offers many features, including an integrated 3D-OpenGL viewer, a program interpreter for geometry and NC commands in 3D, an integrated NC processor and can be used with Windows and Linux. The website is a little sparse and confusing, but the freeware is not.

8. Archimedes

A 3D modeling application that allows you to create complex compound 3D shapes. It is touted for being one of the most functional free AutoCAD alternatives out there.

9. PythonCAD

One for the Linux users, this is a CAD package that was written in the Python programming language, hence the name. One of the best open-source CAD packages for Linux, and it’s also quite simple to use if you have any kind of prior experience with two and three dimensional modeling.

10. progeCAD

This one is free for private use but cannot be used commercially. It reads and writes pretty much all AutoCAD files and has an interface that is very similar to AutoCAD’s, which makes it highly recommended among people who have experience with AutoCAD beforehand.

11. Cometdocs

For users who don’t have AutoCAD software nearby, Cometdocs is a free way to convert PDFs to the DFX and DWG formats completely free.

Ph0z3

Re: Linux 'tricks of the trade' -- tips from our members

Post by Ph0z3 »

vrkalak wrote:1- 49 list of things....
AWESOME! deff going to pass this around. I have a lot of beginner and intermediate friends that could use this! :)
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

Configuring system sounds on XFCE desktop: http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=9424
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

My tip for newbies.

Accept that this is not Windows, that it will never behave, have the same file structure, the same commands and the same look as Windows. That you should never think 'this is stupid on Windows I could....'.

It's Linux, so get used to it :)
nomko

Post by nomko »

vrkalak wrote: 5. DraftSight

Great software for students, professionals and teachers which can be used to create, edit and view all types of DWG files, which is the most common format for most CAD-related applications.
Even the lay-out of this application is the closed to Autocad of all. Any Autocad users should be able using Draftsight without getting lost the first try...

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”