Mint's Future

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Mint's Future

Postby Chinaski on Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:45 pm

What are the future plans for mint? Will it still be here 2 years from now?
How long will support last for a version?
Chinaski

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:37 am

Security updates last at least a year and a half for every release and the Support Center supports its customer on any Linux Mint releases and with any linux related questions they might have (mint-specific or not).

As for the future, 2 years is a lot of time and I hope we'll be as vibrant as we are now with a much wider user-base and a group of companies as well. We'll be focusing on two aspects: innovation (as we're doing now with cutting edge technology and fast cycle new developments) and business (with a pro edition and better solutions for companies to switch to Mint on their desktops). We want to become the number one choice for the desktop. I believe we can achieve that both at home and in the company. Our strongest (and also weakest) concurrent is Microsoft Windows, and looking at its market share I am pretty sure we are going to grow.

Will Windows be much different in 2 years? Will it be the same? Are we in a positition today to compete against it? Will we in 2 years? The future is bright and I'm really confident about it. Linux will eventually replace Windows on the PC market and Mint will be there among the main actors in this new market.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Chinaski on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:22 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to install mint on my desktop pc and my laptop. :)
Chinaski

Postby SEGMAT on Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:45 pm

So what's this Pro version going to be like? Is it going to be a paid one? That's my greatest fear of these distros that go to pro and home versions is that the one that people pay for gets the most development and support and the home version for the normal desktop individual gets left behind in the dust. Please don't tell me it's heading for that!

Matt
SEGMAT
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:55 am

Not at all. It's going to be free like any other edition. The difference is that it will focus on stability more than on innovation.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Chat about Linux Mint