A new member to the Mint community

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

A new member to the Mint community

Postby kcirick on Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:16 pm

Hi all,

I just installed Linux Mint a couple of days ago, and after searching for the right linux distro for about a year, I can safely say I came across my favourite distro.

I wouldn't consider myself a n00b at linux, but I have only used Linux Mint for a couple of days, and before that, Ubuntu for a couple of months. Before then, I have tried Fedora, Mandriva and SuSE, and Slackware for a long long time (Slackware is where I learnt most of my linux basics).

I was never happy with any of the above distros (except for Slackware, I still like it, but I didn't want to download 3 CDs) because it was pretty slow and it seemed to have an emphasis on something other than what I wanted. I feel that Mint is what I've been looking for, it has speed, out-of-box media and hardware compatibility and right software through its Ubuntu-networked repositories.

I guess I'm just presenting my existence here, but hopefully I will be both helping people and be helped here on this forum.

Have a good day :)
-Rick
kcirick
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby sanguinemoon on Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:04 pm

Welcome than! :D

A lot of us aren't "n00bs" at Linux either, but find Mint an excellent distribution to use. I've used those distros you mentioned (technically not Fedora, but RedHat 5.2 and Mandriva was called Mandrake than) SUSE almost made be quit Linux, but I never tried Slackware.

I find Mint nicer than Ubuntu myself. I just like the feel of it. 8)
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kcirick on Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:20 pm

Thanks sanguinemoon!

Fedora 3 almost made me quit linux, but Fedora 5 was alright. I had problem with my wireless network (now it isn't an issue anymore, since bcm43xx-fwcutter is available). Mandriva is full of bugs too. Slackware is gold though, you should try some day ;)

I don't really care for feel of Mint, to be honest (the same day I installed Mint, I changed everything aesthetic, wallpaper and themes and such. I'm a big sucker for girls names and Cassandra happened to be one of my favourite girls names :oops:
kcirick
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Chat about Linux Mint