What browser are you people using?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

What browser are you people using?

Post by NiksaVel »

Hey guys and girls,

I was just wondering what browsers are you people using since I have only experience with IE and Firefox (which I use for some time now)....

Was wondering about opera and konqueror.... :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

I use Firefox
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Konqueror when I use a KDE distro. As it is integrated with the KDE desktop, it comes up very fast. I also read a review of it a few months ago which gave it high ratings. Firefox or sometimes Opera when using Gnome.
hippy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hippy »

I have mostly used Firefox but recently i have also been using Epiphany and liking it
hippy

"To touch the earth is to have harmony with nature." Oglala Sioux
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: What browser are you people using?

Post by scorp123 »

NiksaVel wrote: I was just wondering what browsers are you people using
telnet to port 80 :lol:

Code: Select all

telnet www.linuxmint.com 80 ....
:lol:
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

telnet to port 80
Geek! :D
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

kenetics wrote:
telnet to port 80
Geek! :D
At least you know what he's talking about...'cause I don't have a clue :(
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

antiquexray wrote:At least you know what he's talking about...'cause I don't have a clue :(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telnet

telnet can be "borrowed" to check on other protocols too apart from the protocol it was really made for. So armed with a keyboard and a simple stupid terminal you could surf the web (by connecting your telnet to TCP port 80; because that's the port HTTP servers are usually listening on!), read e-mails from your POP3 account (port 110), or send e-mails (port 25) --- all this without having a web browser or an e-mail program. All you need as a geek is good old plain stupid telnet.

And as admin you can't live without telnet. It's a killer tool for troubleshooting stuff in the network.

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/21

EDIT: Ahem yes, me stating that I use "telnet to port 80" to surf the web was of course a joke .... OK, a bit of a geeky one :wink:
sourwire

Post by sourwire »

I tried Epiphany and Galeon, but find their lack of RSS very annoying. Also some shortcuts that I'm used to on Firefox are missing along with some features. So I came back to my favorite and most useful memory hog, Firefox.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

sourwire wrote:So I came back to my favorite and most useful memory hog, Firefox.
Nice one :lol: ... 'most useful memory hog' ... :lol:

But you are right. Firefox is soooo much better than the rest IMHO. Especially all the extensions and extras that are available and easily installed. My favourite ones being 'NoScript' and 'AdBlock Plus' :D
maty1206
Level 5
Level 5

Post by maty1206 »

I use Fire fox!!!
Linux Mint apps translator
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

opera in windows, Firefox in all Linux Distros (opera for linux sucks, and its a pain in the arse to make it work with most plugins)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

RobbieGrey wrote:My son said he saw an article in a recent Linux magazine which said there was a security flaw in FireFox does anyone know if this is true ??
There are always security flaws in Firefox ... and in any other package that was written by us stupid imperfect humans. That's why there are updates. The beauty of open source software such as Firefox being that security updates become available real fast whereas on Windows you're supposed to wait a few weeks before Microsoft does something about the problem ... if they do anything at all.

So even if there is a security flaw right now in Firefox ... no need to worry. Updates are on their way and you will be auto-notified when it is ready for you to download and install.

If you want to dig into this and check out what the current status of all the browsers is ... check out Secunia's web site. Let's compare the Mozilla Firefox 2.0.x advisories with Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7:

Firefox: most severe unpatched security hole is rated "Less critical":
http://secunia.com/product/12434/?task=advisories

MSIE 7: most severe unpatched security hole is rated "Highly critical":
http://secunia.com/product/12366/?task=advisories

For comparison ... Opera 9.x -- 0% of unpatched security holes!
http://secunia.com/product/10615/?task=advisories

So Opera takes the 1st place for being the safest browser at the moment. Nice. And given how small Opera Software is this is impressive. 8)
sourwire

Post by sourwire »

Yesterday, my little cousin came over and wanted to get on YouTube. Since she always uses (this stupid computer with) Windows, she comes up to me and asks "Where is your guys' Internet Explorer?". It was kind of funny when I thought about it so I laughed. Really, where is my Internet Explorer?

Apparently, she couldn't notice any difference between Windows XP and XFCE.

Pretty dumb, eh? Oh, by the way she's a blonde.
Last edited by sourwire on Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

In Windows Opera in priority but also Firefox. In Linux idem.
scorp123 wrote:So Opera takes the 1st place for being the safest browser at the moment. Nice. And given how small Opera Software is this is impressive. Cool
Opera respects better the web standards (see Acid2 test) and load pages definitely more quickly. 8)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”