In praise of Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Peter4933
Level 2
Level 2

In praise of Mint

Post by Peter4933 »

I know you Linux Mint people probably know this already, but I thought I might send you my thoughts on my experience of Linux so far.

As a long-time user of Microsoft - ME (awful!), XP, (quite good). I was drawn to try Ubuntu, which is fine. I then discovered Linux Mint by it being referred to in a newsletter I received, and In my opinion Cassandra is by far the best distro I have come across so far.

I have "strayed from the path" a few times in the last few weeks, trying out other distro mainly out of curiosity, but none have the ease of installation and use of Cassandra. They all seem to have one or two irritating snags which would put the newcomer off migrating to Linux.

Now all you have to do is lick the problem of scanner installation, particularly "All in-one scanners". No codecs please! Just click a button and install!

Anyway, thanks for your efforts. Thank goodness I don't have to contend with Microsoft's Activation Code nonsense anymore. I still haven't got over the novelty of being able to reinstall the software as many times as one likes!

Regards,
Peter4933.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mujalan
Level 1
Level 1

In Praise of Mint

Post by mujalan »

I'm glad you said that Peter. I've tried Suse, Fedora, PCLOS, Mepis, Kubuntu, Ubuntu, and now Mint Celena. In short, not perfect, but I love it. I'll remain with Ubuntu also, but Mint has done an outstanding job in my opinion. My one snag at this point is a Fujitsu ScanSnap 5110EOX which is supposed to work, but so far no. In this one area at least the PCLOS came through beautifully and picked it right up and installed it. I note that the PCLOS has an icon for "Scanners" in the hardware section. I haven't seen that in my Ubuntu/Mint distros yet. Could be just missing it though. Otherwise, I believe Mint outshines. And it does work quite well with my HP3050 MFC, at least for printing & scanning.

Thanks Mint.
Peter4933
Level 2
Level 2

In praise of Mint

Post by Peter4933 »

Hi Mujalan,
Thanks for your reply.
One of the other small pluses, which I'm sure you are aware of that Mint has over Ubuntu, is that it gives you a wider choice of Desktop backgrounds. I've got mine looking like an Apple Mac. Can't be bad!
On the subject of scanners, this seems to be the weak point in all the distros (apart from Ubuntu and Mint), that I have tried - nine to date! Nick, one of our Forum friends, pointed me in the right direction in getting my Epson 3-in-1 scanner working, and perhaps you might care to read my post headed "Scanners" where I passed on how I managed to do it. I hope this helps.
I notice that you joined the Forum yesterday. WELCOME!
Regards,
Peter.
mujalan
Level 1
Level 1

In Praise of Mint

Post by mujalan »

Thanks Peter. I'm very pleased so far. I'm running 5 computers with business apps. Mint Celena is on two and a third will probably be on by the end of the day.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”