A basic question.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

A basic question.

Postby keithp on Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:42 am

I have been trying Mint Bea and like it very much. Congratulations to the developers!

But I have a very basic question about it. Basically, Mint is a "much improved" Ubuntu.

Are the improvements in the 'core' packages, or just in the Gnome packages?

Why I ask, the repositories contain the Ubuntu KDE packages - at least, that is what appears to be the case. If I was to install KDE from the repositories, would I have a distro which is identical to KUbuntu (as would be the case if your improvements were not of the core packages), or would it be 'KUbuntu-improved?

I can't find the answer to this on your web site.

Being on capped broadband, I really would like to know, so that I can decide whether to use some of my limited broadband to download the KDE stuff.

Many thanks, and sorry for such a basic question.

Keith
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby rlozano on Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:51 am

hmmm.... keithp, it may seem that way, but its not exactly that way... :-) from what i know, the Kubuntu in the main repo will not snagly fit in the mint. there are some who have tried, but im not really sure if they were really succesful...

im may not be as helpful, but both ways, have their respective risk.. ;-)
rlozano
Level 2
Level 2

Postby keithp on Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:55 am

Thanks for your reply, riozano.

I think I will stay with the Gnome version of Mint, and try the KDE version when Clem brings one out.

Keith
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Postby hysteresis on Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:50 am

I don't know about kubuntu, but I have loaded KDE (and the 200meg of associated stuff) without a problem.
hysteresis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby scorp123 on Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:46 am

hysteresis wrote:I don't know about kubuntu, but I have loaded KDE (and the 200meg of associated stuff) without a problem.

Same here. I am using KDE as my primary desktop on LinuxMint 2.0 "Barbara". Installed everything via synaptic, and the automatic resolving of dependencies did the rest for me.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby keithp on Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:38 am

Thanks for your help everyone.

I'll install KDE over the week-end and have a play with it.

Incidentally, I found out about Mint on the PCLinuxOS forum. Several people wrote how good Mint was. So I thought I would try it. They were correct!

Cheers

Keith
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Chat about Linux Mint