Postby tinny on Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:49 am

Outspoken activist seeing red over sexy/sexist ads:
http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/20 ... t_b_1.html
(recent post at LXer.com)

Another installment:
http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/20 ... Are+People
(recent post at tuxmachines.org)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoVpNijg4mw
Last edited by tinny on Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
tinny
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby hugh on Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:26 am

And as a male of the species, I don't blame her either.

My wife recently phoned BT to report our router had burnt out (lightning strike ! - you could see the burn marks on the socket) and they wanted to speak to the 'man of the house' , wouldn't accept her story and wanted her to do some 'simple tests' like try and turn it on.
When I phoned back and reported the exact same problem I got an immediate acceptance of our diagnosis and they sent out another router straight away.

Cheers,

Hugh
hugh
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:54 am

So in the end you were better at solving the problem than your wife, right?

ok ok... I'm only kidding :)

It is a man's world and there's no fairness to expect.

While we were still in France, I got a phone call from our bank because my wife wanted to take 50 euro of our joint account... the manager sneaked in a back room and left my wife waiting at the counter to ask me if I was ok with her taking money out of our account !!! He obviously watched too many movies :) Needless to say, when I told my wife, she was furious ! :)

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby clem on Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:16 am

On a more related note, I dislike feminists/activists as much as I dislike racism/sexism. The last thing I'd like would be to get stuck in the middle of such a sterile argument. Let's hope our codenames don't catch their attention. We do make banners and they do play with seduction and feminine characters.

Here's Bianca:

And here's Cassandra:

On TV, a lot of ads play with the woman-sex-object concept, and usually don't show the woman as a stupid person but as a manipulative one which sex-appeal is like a weapon/tool to obtain whatever she wants from stupid men. When you watch these ads you realize the man is actually portrayed as a stupid being.. reacting instinctively by hormones rather than with brain. Are we offended to see ourselves reduced to beast? I usually find it quite funny.

Like everything I have no problem with using sexism as a joke. The QSol ad is obviously not great but you can tell it doesn't intend to be openly sexist, it's trying to make some kind of a stupid joke, so is it a big deal? really?

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Chat about Linux Mint