Alternate/Live CD

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Alternate/Live CD

Postby manishk on Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:25 pm

I just came across Wubi (wubi-installer.org/), and I think its great for newbies.

It actually installs Ubuntu from windows as if its just another program. It installs Ubuntu into a folder so theres no need to partition and all that stuff.

It uses the Ubuntu alternate ISO.

I was wondering how is an alternate cd different from a Live CD?? Is it possible o make an alternate cd from a Live CD of Mint??
"...Many people can only keep on fighting when they expect to win. I'm not like that, I always expect to lose. I fight anyway, and sometimes I win."

-Stallman
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:33 am

The alternate CD uses a text (command line) installer. That's the "alternate" :)
It's less resource intense and can probably be scripted so I think that's why it's being used
So far no plans for an alternate installer for Mint - we have limited resources and it would take an effort to produce one
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby manishk on Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:32 am

Ok...thanks :)
"...Many people can only keep on fighting when they expect to win. I'm not like that, I always expect to lose. I fight anyway, and sometimes I win."

-Stallman
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Lycus on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:04 pm

Husse wrote:The alternate CD uses a text (command line) installer. That's the "alternate" :)

To be clear, it's ncurses, not command-line. It's select and hit enter rather than point and click. It is a non-graphical text-based interface; compare this to something that truly is command-line install, like Gentoo.
Lycus
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Chat about Linux Mint