Postby starkey on Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:22 pm

Hi, check this page, Lenovo is making a question:

"What Linux distribution would you most like to see supported on a ThinkPad?"

Linux Mint is in the survey.

http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=98
starkey
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby madjr on Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:47 pm

well ubuntu is at the top (thats not a surprise)

but cool they took linuxmint in consideration :)

if ubuntu gets choosen, mint will definitely benefit :)

this is the start of something good.

Anyway, i don't mind what version of linux they include, as long as we get good drivers and support + good prices.
madjr
Level 2
Level 2

Postby bigbearomaha on Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:49 pm

Well. Idid vote in the poll, who knows how relevant it will be.

After much consideration, thinking not only if I were to buy a preloaded laptop, but people I know were to buy one.

I use PCLOS, Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, etc.

I think the better choice of an "introductory" distro, meaning one that has a good look to it, easy to navigate and a repo chock full of apps and is stable.

My first thought was Debian. But, although Debian is the most stable, consistent and has plenty of apps, It is not all of the "latest,greatest" which is what most users want.

so, to me, the next most natural choice is Mint. Mint is Ubuntu really plus it adds the extras that make it stand out as one of the most "user friendly" distros around.

That's right, I voted for Mint. It took me awhile to think on it, there are a lot og very good distros around and sometimes it's not much that separates them.

I am part of a Volunteer group called FBK we take donated computers, install Linux and re donate them to local students, schools and community centers.

We also take on roles of volunteer admins for the community centers and schools if they need help.

Mint has been consistently one of the three distros we use since FBK came into being.

I feel very comfortable thinking of Mint as available on a commercial install such as Lenovo.

Big Bear
Saving the world, one bee at a time
http://bbe-tech.com/
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Chat about Linux Mint