Linux mint apps.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Linux mint apps.

Postby tomcat1965 on Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:19 am

How about replacing Open Office 2.1 with Gnome office,(Abiword and Gnumeric) and including Inkscape plus Dia diagram editor. This would not only provide great apps but add to Linux Mint's appeal IMHO. (check them out if you've not tried them) OO is too bloated,has font issues,and like MS Office is crammed with features most people don't need or use!
Amorak is great but it's a KDE app and adds unnecessary bloat. Check out Listen or pehaps include Songbird and as well.
Including Mail-notifier for Evolution would be useful too.
The inclusion of Envy was a really great idea.....why not include Automatix2 by default? That would really help people just starting out with Linux...Personally hate the term "n00b"....it's disparaging.
Just my 2 Cents worth after years of OO I just find gnomes apps integrate better and like the speed of loading,features and ease of use.
tomcat1965
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby hairy_Palms on Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:30 am

but what if they expect a powerpoint replacement? gnome office doesnt provide that....

i must say i agree 100% with listen :) i could even help packaging that one its by far my second favourite music player (faves winamp but thats not on linux :()
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Gnome Office.....

Postby tomcat1965 on Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:53 am

[quote="hairy_Palms"]but what if they expect a powerpoint replacement? gnome office doesnt provide that....

Mmmmm....forgot about presentations,well have to include Impress then!

Don't think alot of people have tried Listen,otherwise there would be more recommendations for it.....Heres the Listen sites URL for those that havent got it. http://listengnome.free.fr

And it looks great running Beryl,especially when the "now playing window with art pops up......yep sucker for eye candy!
tomcat1965
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hairy_Palms on Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:05 pm

yea, if we include impress then weve already got 75% of oo, and besides openoffice has formula editing which a lot of ppl need

listen 0.5 is soo much faster than 0.4.3 in the repos, the 0.5 from listens site has m4a/mp4 problems, but theres a package on the ubuntu forums that solves it id link to it but the ubuntuforums seem to be down right now....
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Postby darkNiGHTs on Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:32 pm

If abiword is as unstable on linux as it is windows, I would rather have openoffice.
darkNiGHTs
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Chat about Linux Mint