Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon will have Compiz enabled by default

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon will have Compiz enabled by default

Postby nelamvr6 on Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:57 pm

From Slasdot [link]

Da Chronic writes "After a vigorous debate at the last Ubuntu Technical Board meeting, the board decided to ship Ubuntu 7.10 with Compiz enabled by default. The decision was made despite the fact that Compiz still has some significant issues relating to drivers and Xorg. 'For instance, there are some problems — like accelerated video playback issues with Intel drivers — that can only be resolved by using the EXA accelerated rendering framework which is still not ready yet. When asked why Intel isn't addressing the driver issue, technical board member Mathew Garrett explained that "Intel are working on the basis that composited desktops won't be ready for rolling out until EXA is stable enough anyway, so it's not a concern [for them].' In the end, all but one member voted to include Compiz in Gutsy."

Since Mint is based on Ubuntu I can't help but wonder: how will this affect us?
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Ede on Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:09 pm

Mint may be based of Ubuntu, but it's still Clem's choice weather or not compiz/beryl should be included. It's inevitable though, Clem will probably upgrade to Compiz when it's stable enough.

If Compiz gets a release before the next Mint-release, it will probably be included. =)
Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Postby nelamvr6 on Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:48 pm

Well I can't help but trust Clem! :)

I tried Compiz-Fusion. It was nice, but not nearly as stable as Beryl, and very sluggish. And I have a pretty good vid card too, it certainly should have been powerful enough to handle the load.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Postby clem on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:23 am

It should be present, but activated by default?? I don't know... unless the new Bullet-Proof X guarantees de-activation in case of problems. It's hard to say what will happen in Mint until we can test what Ubuntu did. As usual, we will try to merge Ubuntu changes, we will test them and unless we think we can do better we will apply them.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Chat about Linux Mint