Linux Mint Case Badges

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Linux Mint Case Badges

Postby KakarotUSMC on Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:01 pm

Does anyone have information about Linux Mint case badges? I'd like to order one if someone has them for sale.

This would look great on my PC as I show off the highly anticipated Celena to my hopeful linux converts.

Thanks.
KakarotUSMC
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby calumc on Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:41 pm

This has been raised before and i think there has been talk of a mint shop for things like case badges, mugs, t shirts and that knida thing
calumc
Level 3
Level 3

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:25 pm

I would love to get a few too!!!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Postby carlos on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:47 pm

Until something becomes official, I've been toying with the idea of making the case badges by hand. If enough people chime in on this post I'll go ahead and make a handful of them. Obviously I'll charge for them, but some of that money I will donate to Mint. :D

So who is interested?
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
carlos
Level 5
Level 5

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:08 pm

I am in - depending on how much 4 or 5. I am in the USA too!
if i may suggest a nice darker one or black that goes into the dark Green Mint logo of some sort!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Postby merlwiz79 on Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:58 am

I was thinking of doing it my self but I am not good with these kind of things.
Here is what I was going to shrink down and use.
Probably would have to edit it to just say Powered by Linux Mint.
Here are 2 others I made.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby bolen on Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:02 am

I would to love som case badges. The one avatar above (merlwiz79) is really nice. :)
bolen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kenetics on Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:43 pm

merlwiz, those are really nice.
Print them on a 1-inch or wider address label (after rotating 90 deg.). Put them on your computer case and cover them with clear packaging tape cut a little larger than the label. Works well for me.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Postby calumc on Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:37 pm

I looked it to this too and if you google around you can get professional domed case badges for around $1. But im definitely in if there are any being printed!
calumc
Level 3
Level 3

Postby carlos on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:00 pm

calumc, if you found a seller for that price, please share the link. I've been looking and so far no luck for smaller quantities in that price range.

So what I have found at this point is the DIY kits for the clear 1 inch domed case badges. Roughly without any printing on them they will cost about $1.50 a piece. Then you figure the cost of printing and large amount of labor to cut it all up and put all together and postage, I'm thinking either $4.50 to $4 depending on if I feel that the amount of work was alot. Of course, I would also like to donate some of that money to Linux Mint. The nice thing about going this route is that I can customize the logo o be either on any color background, so light or dark version will be available.

The 2nd option, which I'm waiting to get pricing information on. Is 1 inch square vinyl stickers. These come in rolls of 500! And would be limited to 2 or 3 colors. Full color versions for that low of quantity is very expensive (we're talking a couple of hundred dollars). So that will not be an option at least at this point. So I don't have a price yet, so I will get back to everybody when I find out more. One thing about having these stickers is that they are more versatile, since they are nice and flat and can take a beating.

So if people are still interested, please post here. But understand this is not an official product and more of a side thing for me to do. :)
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
carlos
Level 5
Level 5

Postby phantommaggot on Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:25 pm

if you could just do the LM logo with the leaf. using the outer edge of the leaf as the shape.. that would be teh awesome. id slap on all the machines i put LM on at school :)
as well as my own :)
phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Postby calumc on Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:27 pm

The company i found is in the uk: http://www.scotgold.com/acatalog/ScotGo ... ges_1.html
but im sure there must be similialr deals to be found in the us but if not they do very reasonable shipping.
so maybe we could get someone in the us and someone in europe to take a bulk order?
I volunteer to organise this on this side of the pond BTW.
calumc
Level 3
Level 3

Postby katasuka on Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:42 am

NOTE: All done, now the stickers come with 6 badges at 1in x 2in.. A note to merlwiz79, if you can provide an image of each badge at 1in x 2in in png format at 300dpi then I will use that.

Well, check this out:
http://www.cafepress.com/potoflove/3717333

Credits are given and there is no mark-up (aka no profits are made).

These are stickers using the case bade images. The price you see is the price CafePress charges (if you don't believe me, check it out for yourself).

Hope this is useful.

BTW: If merlwiz79 wants me to remove these, just let me know. I only added them in hopes of it being useful to all.
katasuka
Level 2
Level 2

Postby merlwiz79 on Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:56 am

katasuka wrote:NOTE: All done, now the stickers come with 6 badges at 1in x 2in.. A note to merlwiz79, if you can provide an image of each badge at 1in x 2in in png format at 300dpi then I will use that.
Not sure how to do that. :?
All I know is it's a png at 125x187 pixels.
katasuka wrote:BTW: If merlwiz79 wants me to remove these, just let me know. I only added them in hopes of it being useful to all.

I wouldn't do that, though these were just samples of what I made a long time ago.
I didn't think these would be used.
Just giving an idea really.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:51 am

Nice - so these an be ordered now? I suggest adding $1.00 to the price and the extra goes to Mint for support. Sounds fair all around.

Thanks!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Postby calumc on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:15 am

Merlwiz: gimp gives you the option to resize in inches and millimeters as well as in pixels.
I would second adding a bit to the cost and donating it to mint, also would it be possible to ship them two to a sheet? im pretty sure most people wont have a use for six of them and we could probably charge the same price for two.
And clem, maybe you could add a link to the store page on the mint site
calumc
Level 3
Level 3

Postby katasuka on Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:36 am

to make the images at proper size using gimp, make a new image, change the size attributes from pixels to inches, then make the image 1 x 2 and then you will see adavanced options, click it to expand then change the 72dpi to 300dpi and save the finished image as png.

heres some screenshots:

as for adding $1 as a markup, I'll let merlwiz79 tell me if thats ok to do since its his artwork. and if anyone else has artwork for linux mint case badges, i can add them to.
katasuka
Level 2
Level 2

Postby merlwiz79 on Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:22 pm

katasuka wrote:as for adding $1 as a markup, I'll let merlwiz79 tell me if thats ok to do since its his artwork. and if anyone else has artwork for linux mint case badges, i can add them to.
Sounds fine by me.
Here is the image redone to the correct size.
I think we need to have someone else improve it more.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:48 pm

I personally like the newest Dark Green Mint Wallpaper that i saw posted here yesterday I beleive. I think that would make a great One!!!!

by verdegal33....

http://www.divshare.com/img/display/2029003-ce5

that is absoslutely gorgeous!
or even the one that has from fredom comes elegance that is a bit lighter in color.

Super stuff.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Postby calumc on Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:36 pm

heres my go at a badge using the mascot, 'mintytux' as i like to call him, i made. Just dont look at it too closely!
calumc
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Chat about Linux Mint