Concering the split of Linux Mint.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Concering the split of Linux Mint.

Postby Ede on Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Yes, concering the split of linux mint. As I see it, personally, the community is split without means of communication. And the evil that seperates the community?

Language.

Linux mint's community is not the biggest, but it's allready one of the most seperated ones. This is not really a problem, but it still makes me sad. Looking at statistics from Linux Mint Planet (Not counting the linux mint blog, since it's official.) there's only 59 articles written in english.
The biggest community is surely spanish. Spanish counts for 142 articles. Minor languages is russian, 11, and german, 20.

In all, this means that I can only read and understand 59 of 232 articles. In other words, 25,4%.

I don't know what you other guys feel, but I feel like I'm missing out on alot of information, and that the community has split. It's like the spanish community stays in the spanish language-section, while the rest of the world smurfs around in the rest of the forum.

Communities are bound to seperate into fewer and smaller communities as a community grows. The problem with the linux mint-community is that it's not big enough yet, and the barriers that seperates the communities is language.

Then again, I have no idea how the english education is in spain. For all I know, it could be as bad as in Germany, where everything on tv is dubbed. It could be that I'm just an ass that want's a bigger piece of the mint-cake.

Hmm, mint-cake... For somewhat reason, I don't think that mint in cake would be so smart.
Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby nelamvr6 on Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:20 pm

Are you feeling left out?

Imagine how non English speaking people must feel if the only language spoken in a forum is English!

I think that you have no complaint, the community isn't split, it is very accommodating.

I think you have a couple of options:

1. Learn some Spanish. It's always a great thing to learn a second language, and Spanish is very handy ino matter where you live.

2. Write some articles. Think that there too many Spanish articles? I think there are too few English articles.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Postby kenetics on Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:19 pm

I don't have a problem with it. After all, Mint is a European distro. You can always use Google translate. It amazes me how well many Europeans can write English when it's not their native language.

I can read American English and some UK English and a little bit of Canadian! (fwiw).
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Postby clem on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:26 am

The growth of the Spanish Community is mostly due to its members. There are highly involved and active people in there (look at Maty for instance, Agust, Gadi...etc..etc..). Not only do they make a great Spanish community but they also participate in the English threads (Maty for instance is very active within the Dev team, Agust is very active in the Artwork dev section of the forum).

In terms of users the Spanish community is actually smaller than the German, French, or even Italian one. Yes, that's right... there are more German people visiting linuxmint.com than there are from Spain, Argentina, Mexico, etc..etc.. but you don't need a lot of people to make something great.

The Spanish Community has become something exceptional, with a life of its own and a lot of momentum. I hope others communities could do the same (French, German, Italian and Polish for instance have a lot of users but they don't communicate at all).

There is no split, quite the opposite. If you're a non-English speaker do take example on this Spanish Community and start pushing your own.

As for the planet, it couldn't be called a planet if it only represented one part of the World. All languages are welcome of course.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Ede on Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:36 am

nelamvr6: No, I don't feel directly left out. I just feel like I'm missing alot of information. And fyi, I'm norwegian, english is my second language, and I have my hands full on learning icelandic. Starting to learn spanish now would be troublesome. :P

The last charts I read was that Chinese is stille the most spoken language, then comes English, THEN comes spanish. As Clem just said too, there's more germans here than native spanish speakers. The ideal would be if every article here was written in english. It would reach out to more people. This is ofcourse, just in my opinion.

kenetics: Yes, it's a european distro. Then why write most of the articles in a language most europeans can't understand? :P

Clem: Yes, activity is great. I just feel like they have 2 sides of activity, the english and the spanish. It's nothing wrong with it.
What the spanish community has done to make that community is great! I admire them. I just personally, in my humble opinion, think that it's too early, since the other communities is not even 1/8 as big.

I could start a norwegian community, but it would contain just 1 member. Me. And that's not fun. We norwegians are 1. Not so many. There's just 4-5 million norwegians in the entire world. 2. Linux in norway? Hrmph... Norwegians are addicted to Windows...
Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Postby nelamvr6 on Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:06 am

Your English is quite good for a non-native speaker, for sure way better than my Icelandic.

If you want to start a Norwegian community, I'll join to show my solidarity! :D

Of course, I don't speak or write anything but English and Spanish, so that might be a hindrance, but we can get past that, right? :P
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Chat about Linux Mint