GUI Based Installation Utility First Test Version

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

GUI Based Installation Utility First Test Version

Postby katasuka on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:50 am

Greetings,

Before I found Linux Mint, I made a console based utility to install "most requested applications" on Ubuntu. Now that I found Linux Mint, I decided to port this utility to Linux Mint. My original script was for Dapper, this new one is for Edgy (Bea). However, I am trying to learn how to make a GUI based utility using Zenity. This version which I am posting here is my first test version that has left my computer. I want anyone brave enough to test it and give me feedback, suggestions, corrections, advice, error reports, etc.

This version is VERY limited on what it can install. I did this on purpose so it will be easier for me and the testers to make sure I got this thing right before I go adding a lot of other programs and such to the list. Thank you for testing this.

http://mark.22kb.com/dl/linuxmint/Linux ... -V1.tar.gz

Just extract the tar.gz file, open a terminal in the new folder and:
chmod u+x install.sh
sudo sh ./install.sh

and be sure to post any errors and such.
katasuka
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:06 pm

Hi,

Here are a few ideas:

- it should be graphical.
- it should ask the user to confirm and show him a summary.
- the user should be able to select among the items, which ones he wants and which ones he doesn't.

Ideally it should be written in glade/python and be called mintInstall.. or something like that :)

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby katasuka on Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:10 am

i know zero python, ive tried to learn it but it seems i will never learn python.

there is a gui, it is in zenity which is included in gnome. im new to zenity but not new to bash. the script itself does the job very well... however adding a gui is new to me so this is why i asked for help testing to see how well it works on other peoples systems.

this version allows users to choose which programs to install using checkboxes. the reccomended applications are selected by default, but the user can deselect them if they so wish.

i also would like someone with knowledge of zenity to look at the code and tell me if its clean and well written and if not offer some advice on how to make it better.

if i can get this zenity thing down well then i will expand what it does. if linux mint goes to kde then ill use kdialog as supposedly it has more features and allows more control. i was going to use kdialog to begin with but it would require installing some kde stuff which is not what is wanted on a gnome system.

thank u
katasuka
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Chat about Linux Mint