Questions regarding future releases...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Questions regarding future releases...

Postby jbaerbock on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:24 pm

Ok so I have been reading that the new ubuntu (Gutsy Gibbon) will come with the latest kernel and Gnome. This new kernel is supposed to have better support for my graphics card (which is good cause my ATI 200M has issues with high end games). So my question is, will the next Mint have the new kernel and Gnome just like Gutsy or will it go more its own route?

I have been considering upgrading kernel etc... from gutsy repos once it it fully out from my Celena install. But if Daryana plans to have the newest Kernel and Gnome as well then I can wait till that.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:28 pm

It will be based on Gutsy... same Gnome, same kernel.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby jbaerbock on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:30 pm

Ok good to know, thanks Clem.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Postby cjvos1 on Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:40 pm

So when can we expect the new release of Mint? No pressure or anything, I was just curious given the release of Gutsy Gibbon.

By the way, I am quite new to Mint and I am loving it! Keep up the good work.

Chris
cjvos1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:24 pm

I think we can expect the first BETA in less than a week.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby cjvos1 on Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:00 am

Thanks Clem. You guys are awesome!
cjvos1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sanford42 on Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:09 am

agreed. ever since i came back to mint, i've had about 15 people tell me they've switched, either from other distros, or they've quit windows cold-turkey.

still curious what all you need from me, clem. i wanna help, i just can't code. at all. i just REALLY wanna help this distro succeed.
sanford42
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cjvos1 on Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:18 am

sanford42:

I can't code either, but the way I try and help out is to spread the word. Friends, family and quite frankly, anyone who will listen. I'll try and give them a few CD's if they'll take them!

Chris
cjvos1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sanford42 on Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:27 pm

well, i've been posting the reviews on my site, and they seem to be rather popular (at least, my web traffic increases from about 45 hits/day to about 500) ;)

but, i just wanna do more.

clem and the guys work their asses off for us. i wanna return that favour, ya know? :D
sanford42
Level 1
Level 1

Gutsy alternative install

Postby D1Wayne on Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:14 am

last night I ran across wubi

Something along the lines of wubi might make a good alternative for many Distro releases as UN-Like Live-cds if you have install problems, you end up tossing them or do a full install anyway.

While with wubi you do not need to create partition(S) or burn CD/DVD, just allocate some space on existing partition, and if you do not like the release simply un-install it.and your life goes on without grubs issues.

With 3 drives 3 grubs and NTLoader, this was very appealing to me so
I have had far to much time and trouble with bad grubs replaceing device IDs :x over-writing each other :shock: :? and other hellish crap

Question will Mint including Lupin in its future?
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/lupin
or is it there when next release is out?

after starting the windows installer for wubi
downloaded from http://wubi-installer.org/
1 screen asks
how much disk space to allocate for Ubuntu
what drive
what flavor of Feisty 7.04 (ed,K,X etc..)
What user namr (defailts to win login name)
What password to assign

then it proceeds to get the iso for the selectected flavor of Ubuntu
then installs it:-)
When rebooting to Ubuntu. I was running Feisty it failed safed itself to 800x640 resolution (Unlike from cd or Mint which requires me to to play games in order to get any GUI)

1) thing after log-in went to Albertos and got Envy .98 installed Nvidia drivers and was setting pretty
2) Did the 200+ updates rebooted and had to re-run Envy
3) Played a bit, ok yet another Feisty everything working fine
4) Got a little Gutsy and went for the distro upgrade
5) through the updagrade process I was asked at 3 occassions to keep or replace existing personal settings, I opted replace on all except the NVidia drivers.

When rebooting I got the
Internal Error
HAL failure

Had to play with network to get online but local area net stuff all there and accessable

eth0 not there sata and USB drives not accessable
manually configured dchp and Googled prolems
seem this is well known Gutsy problem(s) Severity is currently undecided by Ubnuntu and no work arounds. (Problem also exists when traditional ISO cd installs.

Gutsy is Not Yet Ready For Prime Time but

Other than SATA and USB drives/WIFI issues so far there appears a ray of hope. and yes the Eye-Candy works after envy install

Gnome 2.2 just feeeels so much nicer, snappier. fewer xorg aches and pains (of course this could be thanks to envy:-)

Mint Minesweeper hit a bomb, it takes between 3 to 4 seconds for animation underGutsy (gnome 2.2) same action takes approx 0.22 to 0.35secs consistantly:-)
D1Wayne
Level 3
Level 3

Postby clem on Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:29 pm

Hi there,

There are a lot of ways to help out: http://linuxmint.com/getinvolved.php

You don't need to know how to code. Also, don't hesitate to join a community project (podcast, mintmag, or anything new if you have your own ideas of what you want to do).

Overall the best and easiest way to help out is to spread the word and help other people when you know the answer to their problems.

Enjoy the distro and the community,
Welcome to Mint.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux Mint