Found Mint while looking for the "60 Year Old Gramma" Distro

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Found Mint while looking for the "60 Year Old Gramma" Distro

Postby sundayrefugee on Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:01 am

Hello Mint community!

I got here rather by accident :lol: I have spent the last few weeks distro-hopping, trying to find a good distro for my new neighbor, the quintessential, 60 year old, widowed, internet addicted Gramma, who knows zilch about computers, but knows she's tired of Windows, and wants to try that "Free Linux thingy someone mentioned" :lol:

I have been a SuSEr for some time now, and had no intention of switching for myself. I tried PCLOS, 7.10 (K)Ubuntu (don't get me started on the problems in THAT one...), SimplyMEPIS, and a couple of other "out-of-the-box", beginner freindly distros. I told her I couldn't recommend SuSE to a nub ;-)

Had looked at Mint in the past, but was concerned about the upgrade/update problems. Did a random browse of your forum this morning, saw it was taken care of, and decided to give it a try.

Needless to say, I'm beyond impressed. Wonderful menu. My favorite apps, by default. Superb assistants. Mintinstall is great. Mintupdate worked without a hitch, and is actually better than any other update manager I've used, and couldn't be better for the new user.

I decided it would be the perfect distro to introduce someone to Linux with. The others ranged from great - superb in their own right, but there always seemed to be something that made me say "Well, that could be a problem for her..."

Funny thing, though. It sold itself to me, too :lol: Didn't expect that, honestly. I have been perfectly happy with SuSE forever. But Clem's community involvement and transparency, the quality of the distro and it's vision/roadmap. The tools. I could go on.

But you already know this ;-)

So, expect to see me around. I'm here to stay. Having fun exploring at the moment 8)

What a great job you all are doing! No wonder this baby is climbing the charts! It's going to be a great ride!
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:08 am

Welcome to Mint sundayrefugee
Nice to have you on board and thanks for the kind words
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby allforcarrie on Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:56 am

good stuff.
allforcarrie
Level 2
Level 2

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:03 am

Think of this as your new refuge!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Welcome

Postby dracorX on Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:14 am

Hello. I can understand you. Although I'm quite savvy, I was tired of having to do to much configuration, wanted my pc to work simply - mint offered this comfort
dracorX
Level 3
Level 3

Postby blogger on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:57 am

Welcome Sundayrefugee,

Don't worry Grandma! There's quite a few people here that are older. :)
That goes to show you that seniors ( experienced and wise ) always prefer Mint Linux. :)

Welcome to the Mint gang, Grandma.
SEVERELY ADDICTED TO MINT / CASSANDRA SYNDROME
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Chat about Linux Mint