best way to connect to file server? solved

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

best way to connect to file server? solved

Postby akshunj on Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:43 pm

So, first let me describe my pimp 8) setup:

Server - Old P3 desktop in the basement running Cassandra XFCE. It is a broadcatching system, as well as streaming file server. I use T.E.D. to catch TV torrents via RSS as they come available, and those torrents get bounced to Deluge for downloading. The system also runs a SAMBA server.

Client - HTPC in the living room running Daryna. I use SAMBA to mount the basement file server's directory, and stream the content on-demand with Xine.

My problem is network throughput. I can't get anything faster than 900KB/sec (7.2Mb/sec). I'm using wireless-G for the router and both clients, which should give me a theoretical speed of 6.7MB/sec (54Mb/sec). That's like turning on the shower and getting a little trickle. Sure, streaming video doesn't need a ton of bandwidth, but occasionally the content is in HighDef and Xine starts to stutter.

Am I overcomplicating things by using SAMBA? Should I use another type of server? NFS gives me similar results, but maybe SSH? Any thoughts?

--Akshun J
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: best way to connect to file server?

Postby Husse on Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:46 pm

Seems a bit too large difference. Have you ruled out a hardware glitch?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby akshunj on Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:00 pm

Husse wrote:Seems a bit too large difference. Have you ruled out a hardware glitch?

Yeah, it's not a hardware thing. I've swapped about everything out at least once...

--Akshun J
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:38 am

OK - can you check the rate for a "normal file transfer" just using shared folders
The speed of that can give a hint
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby akshunj on Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:10 am

Shared folders? Not sure what you mean. I experimented with SSH and connected to my desktop system from a Virtual Machine running Daryna. I used bridged networking, so the Virtual Machine had it's own IP. I copied a file via SSH, and it maxed out my connection for the first time at about 6MB/sec (50 Mbits/sec). :D

So, thinking I fixed my problem, I dumped SAMBA and setup SSHfs. Outside of the virtual machine, my luck was not as good. But, network speed was improved 1.5MB/sec (12Mbits/sec). And my HD streaming is more reliable. No stuttering. I'd call it a partial success.

By the way, SSHfs absolutely rocks! The SSH server sets up right after install from Synaptic. And on the client side, a few tweaks here and there, and you're set! No samba config files, defining shares, creating new users, etc. You could spend an hour configuring SAMBA, but SSH took me 5 minutes!

--Akshun J
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:33 am

Jay - that's some difference :)
With "shared folders" I referenced to Control Center > System > Shared folders
It uses rather basic networking (I presume)
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Chat about Linux Mint