Few thoughts and questions after try Mint...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Few thoughts and questions after try Mint...

Postby VaMPiRiC_CRoW on Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:37 am

Hi,

To start, I have to say that I'm a newbie about Linux, but I'm trying to learn and install some distros to see what is the right one for me...

Two months ago, I decided to leave Microsoft and use Linux.
Starts using PCLinuxOS by friend suggestion, and works very well, but is not so polished and I want to use a Debian based distro.
I'm currently using SimplyMEPIS 7.0 RC2 and I like it a lot! Still not the final version, but very stable, fast, have a great manual, and its community is very good. The unique cons is because it's based on Debian Etch and we can't have all the latest applications versions, but this is also a pro if some one wants stability,
But I wanted to try more, and read about Mint and sidux.
Also read that Mint main developer may talk with MEPIS developer, and if that happens could result in a great distro.

I tried Mint 4.0 Daryna Gnome and XFCE Live CD's, and I've to say that I'm really impressed with them! I will also try KDE edition.
Very easy to use, great GUI, even for me that prefer KDE, and Mint tools and features are great! :D
Mint is doing an excellent job, and I read, on its blog, that you also make a Debian Lenny and Fedora based distro...
I will really what to try the Debian based... ;)

I have a few questions:
1. I read that we need to make a fresh install every new release to have the latest features, so I want to suggest that you try to implement something to avoid this? But it seems that maybe this will only be possible on your future Debian based distro.
2. Can you put the same effort for XFCE and KDE Editions? A lot of people prefer these over Gnome, so I think that you will win a lot of new users...
2. The current version of Mint is compatible with Debian repositories?

Keep the excellent work!
Best Regards
VaMPiRiC_CRoW
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Few thoughts and questions after try Mint...

Postby Sorensei on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:41 am

Hi,

Glad you like our favorite distro... welcome to the Mint community!
I'll try to answer a few of your questions:

• A fresh install is the surest way for now, but usually Clem will give upgrade instructions for those who don't want to re-install. You'll need to follow them closely though, as it may be a bit tricky.
  • I also prefer KDE, and Boo is doing his best to deliver a great edition. Porting MintApps takes time, and I'm eagerly awaiting the final KDE Daryna too... Same can be said for XFCE.
  • Technically you can try... but you need to keep in mind that we have a "double mutation" from Debian, first to Ubuntu then to Mint, so if some packages will work, you also stand a good chance of breaking something. I'd advise looking in the Mint or Ubuntu repos first, and then installing from Debian at your own risk...
Hoping this helps! :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Postby linuxviolin on Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:53 am

VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote:The current version of Mint is compatible with Debian repositories?

NEVER DO THAT! :twisted:

See the scorp123 posts for example here and here for some explanations:

you already messed with it and inserted Debian apt sources ... which is begging for problems. Debian, Ubuntu and Mint are different operating systems. Or to use a different analogy: both diesel and gasoline are used as fuel in car engines, the principle is even similar (fuel burns, produces gas ... motor moves car), and yet you can't fill gasoline into a diesel-powered car and diesel into a gasoline-powered car. If you do that your only achievement will be a horribly high bill from the mechanic who had to fix your ruined car. Same here.

Why oh why? Debian "Etch" is an entirely different distro with totally different version numbers and library versions. You don't fill gasoline into a vehicle with a diesel engine, right? And you don't fill diesel into a vehicle with a gasoline engine, right?

Never do that!! You cannot do "distro mixes" like that. Just because Mint is based on Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is based on Debian, doesn't mean that you can deliberately mix packages and repo sources.

And also nick post:

You originally had the Debian repos enabled, therefore packages were installed that are totally incompatible with the Ubuntu system.

P.S= If you had searched on the forum, you would have found the answer in 2 minutes like me. Please search before posting, it will prevent we would answer '25 times' to the same questions. No flame here just a request. :D Thank you.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Postby VaMPiRiC_CRoW on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:25 am

Sorensei wrote:Glad you like our favorite distro... welcome to the Mint community!

Thanks ;)
Sorensei wrote:A fresh install is the surest way for now, but usually Clem will give upgrade instructions for those who don't want to re-install. You'll need to follow them closely though, as it may be a bit tricky.

I read that on "Release Notes for Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna", but it would be better if we can have an automatic application or wizard to do that.
Sorensei wrote:I also prefer KDE, and Boo is doing his best to deliver a great edition. Porting MintApps takes time, and I'm eagerly awaiting the final KDE Daryna too... Same can be said for XFCE.

I thought that mintApplications was already compatible with majors desktop environments...
I tried XFCE and I can say that the developer did a great work :)
Sorensei wrote:Technically you can try... but you need to keep in mind that we have a "double mutation" from Debian, first to Ubuntu then to Mint, so if some packages will work, you also stand a good chance of breaking something. I'd advise looking in the Mint or Ubuntu repos first, and then installing from Debian at your own risk...

That is what I thought :(
Normally, Ubuntu and Mint takes very few time to updates their applications on rep?

Thanks ;)
VaMPiRiC_CRoW
Level 3
Level 3

Postby VaMPiRiC_CRoW on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:26 am

linuxviolin,

You are right ;)

Thanks
VaMPiRiC_CRoW
Level 3
Level 3

Postby VaMPiRiC_CRoW on Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:29 am

I already tried KDE Edition, but doesn't seemed so polished as Gnome and Xfce Editions...

I don't know what is happening with Community Editions, like KDE and Xfce, because I can't see feedback from the developers on the last weeks...

I'm waiting for final community editions of Mint to start using it, because I don't like Gnome.

The final release of Mint was almost one month ago, and we still didn't have the other editions...
At least some Topic where we saw the road map of them...
VaMPiRiC_CRoW
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Sorensei on Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:00 am

Hi,

We should have the Daryna KDE edition soon enough... perhaps even this week. See Husse's comment:

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7611&p=47529#p47529
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Postby VaMPiRiC_CRoW on Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Sorensei,

thanks for the info ;)
VaMPiRiC_CRoW
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Sorensei on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:16 am

de nada... I'm eagerly waiting for it too...
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Postby VaMPiRiC_CRoW on Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:54 am

Estou a ver que conheces alguma coisa de português ;)

This community are doing a wonderful work!
VaMPiRiC_CRoW
Level 3
Level 3

Postby molom on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:18 am

VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote:Hi,

2. Can you put the same effort for XFCE and KDE Editions? A lot of people prefer these over Gnome, so I think that you will win a lot of new users...

I think my poll can clarify whether it's true that ( viewtopic.php?f=61&t=7483 ) ;). Seems like KDE and Gnome are very even, but I bet gnome would be the most preferred if everyone voted. Seems like the only distros worth making for now are the gnome, KDE, XFCE and e17 distros. Found it funny and odd that no one voted for the Box environments.

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby VaMPiRiC_CRoW on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:28 am

Yep, if Mint release Gnome, KDE, Xfce and Enlightenment at the same time would be really great!!! :D

That will required work, but at least everyone will be happy, and I believe that Mint team too... ;)
VaMPiRiC_CRoW
Level 3
Level 3

Postby yamawho on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:41 pm

Gnome is what made me take notice of this distro.
I have always used KDE is the past.
I am a Mepis 6.5 user since it was released.
While I was waiting for Mepis 7 to go final, I decided to try a Mint install ... glad I did.
ImageImage
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Postby VaMPiRiC_CRoW on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:52 pm

yamawho,

Gnome on Mint is great, but...

I also use MEPIS 7.0 RC2 and I'm delighted with it...

MEPIS and Mint are my favorite distros... :D
VaMPiRiC_CRoW
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux Mint