Korean in Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Korean in Mint

Postby Daxiuyi85 on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:14 am

G'day everyone,

I'm planning on installing Mint soon as my first foray into Linux (planning on getting a new computer first rather than mess around with my existing XP SP2 box, but that's for another post), but I am wondering about Korean language support (among others).

I speak a few different languages, and as such i find myself viewing websites and documents, as well as writing documents and editing filenames in many different languages - Italian, Chinese (both Simplified and Traditional) and Korean (as well as English).

Now I read in another post that for European languages the setup for those is identical to Ubuntu. That I have found and can manage. But that same post said that for the CJK languages (Chinese, Japanese and Korean), Linux Mint has stripped them out or modified them or something.

Is there support for these Asian languages and writing systems in Mint? If so, how does one go about getting it to work?

This is a very important issue for me (I would like as full an interchangeability of writing systems as possible throgh my OS), and I am wondering if Mint fits the bill here (it ticks all my others :wink: )

Any comments/advice/pointers to where I can find out more would be greatly appreciated.
Daxiuyi85
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:24 pm

Hi,

You're right. These languages were removed from Linux Mint in order to gain space on the CD. For this reason you can't have Korean on the Live CD.

Now having said that, you can perfectly add Korean Language Support once Linux Mint is installed. Simply select it in Administration->Language Support and everything should work well.

You'll also have to setup scim or some alternative way to input Korean characters . But for this it will be the exact same as with Ubuntu.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Daxiuyi85 on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:30 pm

Ok then, that puts my mind at ease :-)

Thanks very much for that!
Daxiuyi85
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Chat about Linux Mint