What is there in ubuntu that Mint doesnt have ??

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Postby aditya on Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:01 am

Linux Mint comes preloaded with :

1. Amarok + KDE libraries - 70 MiB

2. Multimedia Codecs - 20 MiB

3. Flash Plugins - 3 MiB

4. Java Plugins - 50 MiB

Moreover the iso is 688 Mib as compared to ubuntu iso of 698 Mib.

What has Mint removed to accommodate all these stuff in it ??

aditya
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: What is there in ubuntu that Mint doesnt have ??

Postby kanishka on Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:02 am

I think that the Ubuntu CD has additional language packs besides English, and they do take a lot of space
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Postby molom on Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:07 am

Amarok is big! Why does Linux Mint have amaroK if there are better alternatives like exaile, songbird, rythmbox or banshee? And if there's enough space after taking amaroK out and replacing it, Brasero or Gnomebaker could be installed by default.
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby aditya on Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:20 am

molom wrote:Amarok is big! Why does Linux Mint have amaroK if there are better alternatives like exaile, songbird, rythmbox or banshee? And if there's enough space after taking amaroK out and replacing it, Brasero or Gnomebaker could be installed by default.

totally agree. I would love to see banshee in mint.
aditya
Level 1
Level 1

Postby belovedmonster on Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:09 am

molom wrote:Amarok is big! Why does Linux Mint have amaroK if there are better alternatives like exaile, songbird, rythmbox or banshee? And if there's enough space after taking amaroK out and replacing it, Brasero or Gnomebaker could be installed by default.

Amarok is always touted as a killer app.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby exploder on Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:47 am

Amarok is the most user friendly and polished player right now. With the new kde libs it now loads fast and you would hardly even know it was a kde app now.

Just my 2 cents!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby molom on Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:00 am

belovedmonster wrote:

Amarok is always touted as a killer app.

I don't think amarok will ever be a killer app. What I think will be a killer app for Linux in the music aspect will be songbird. Only developer releases have only been released so far, it looks nice and its functionality is superior to many other msuic players in my opinion. When the first stable release comes out I doubt there will be many signs of exaile and banshee. Although I really like banshee. I moved away from it when I moved to linux mint because it had amaroK as default.
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby aditya on Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:09 pm

Lets have a vote.
Amarok or banshee by default.

1 for banshee from my side
aditya
Level 1
Level 1

Postby molom on Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:31 pm

aditya wrote:Lets have a vote.
Amarok or banshee by default.

1 for banshee from my side

Done ( viewtopic.php?f=60&t=8029&start=0 )
But it has more options ;)

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mint-fresh on Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:15 pm

Isn't this the same as the one in the Ubuntu Forums?
mint-fresh
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pknox on Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:34 pm

As a Ubuntu user (Feisty, Gutsy) who just switched to Mint, I can say that they are rather similar. I had some problems with Gutsy (display issues), and heard about Mint on the Ubuntu forums, so I gave it a try. It is similar enough to Gutsy that I had virtually no learning curve; the only difference was the new Gnome slab menu, which in my eyes is a significant improvement.

Basically at this point, Ubuntu has two things that Mint doesn't have (yet):

1. Broader recognition -- as it is perceived as one of the "major" distros (Ubuntu, SUSE, Fedora, Mandriva, Slackware, Gentoo) if I go to a bookstore looking for a book on Linux, it is quite possible I will find one on Ubuntu. This is a plus for newbies; I would much rather get my info online, but some people prefer a book.

2. More forum members -- this is a function of time; as Mint gets bigger, more people will participate here, and questions will get answered just as quickly. Keep in mind that because Mint is based on Ubuntu, MInt users can benefit from the Ubuntu forums as well.

In sum, there are some minor differences, but none that are show-stoppers. In my personal experience, Mint does everything Gutsy did, in some cases better, and I don't have to go to the trouble of installing additional codecs.

One of the things that caused me to switch was that Ubuntu seems to get less stable with each release. As MInt is based on Ubuntu, that's something that has to be kept in mind for the future. Oddly enough, there were issues I had in Gutsy that I don't have in MInt, and I SHOULD have had considering their both based on the same software, so there might be other issues there.
Peter Knox
pknox
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux Mint