What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

What music player do you want as default for Linux Mint 5.0

AmaroK
53
22%
Songbird
16
7%
Banshee
22
9%
Exaile
56
23%
Rhythmbox
40
17%
Other
52
22%
 
Total votes : 239

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby molom on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:53 am

belovedmonster wrote:But people obviously like Amarok or it wouldn't be the current default, and Exaile is in many respects a Gnome copy of Amarok.


Yes, exaile is a copy, since its gtk it wouldn't be a big deal if Exaile replaces amaroK. We can save plenty of space because there won't be a use for KDE libs and Brasero or something can be installed by default for Mint to use the free space in the CD edition.
User avatar
molom
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Australia

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby Zwopper on Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:04 am

molom wrote:
belovedmonster wrote:But people obviously like Amarok or it wouldn't be the current default, and Exaile is in many respects a Gnome copy of Amarok.


Yes, exaile is a copy, since its gtk it wouldn't be a big deal if Exaile replaces amaroK. We can save plenty of space because there won't be a use for KDE libs and Brasero or something can be installed by default for Mint to use the free space in the CD edition.

I agree, even if I would prefer Rhythmbox! ;-)
Image
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
User avatar
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm
Location: Deep in the Swedish woods

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby belovedmonster on Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:50 am

One thing at the back of mind though is what about Amarok 2? That will be out by the time Mint 5 is ready to go. Shouldn't we wait until that is out before we decide we don't want Amarok anymore?
User avatar
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:34 pm

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby Zwopper on Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:37 pm

belovedmonster wrote:One thing at the back of mind though is what about Amarok 2? That will be out by the time Mint 5 is ready to go. Shouldn't we wait until that is out before we decide we don't want Amarok anymore?

Let's NOT! :evil:
Let's put Amarok 2 in the <K>DE-edition of Linux Mint instead!!! :)
Last edited by Zwopper on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
User avatar
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm
Location: Deep in the Swedish woods

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby Kynan on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:35 am

Go Exaile! :D i love it, simple, elegant just like mint, works fine and doesn't crash randomly, lovely bunch of plugins and best of all fits nicely with the gnome gtk theme.. what more do you need?

i have made a mint file for the latest version 0.2.11 replacing 0.2.10 (the new plugins are very useful)
link to mint file: http://www.box.net/shared/v0nzbc49bj

changes:
Includes a whole ton of changes (as well as the usual slew of bug fixes):

* Replay Gain support
* Better tag editor (similar to that found in Ex Falso)
* Integrated CD burning and ripping
* Update notifier
* Artist grouping by initial
* File transfer support in the Mass Storage Plugin
* Advanced Configuration Editor
* Win32 support (though rough, it’s a start)

New plugins:

* Send via Bluetooth
* Win32 mmkeys
* icastplugin (Streaming to a shoutcast or icecast server)
* httpserver (A neat way to control Exaile via the web)

Exaile now has 24 plugins!!
User avatar
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:39 pm

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby Zwopper on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:41 am

I'll give it a go and see if it <K>ixx! 8) :wink:
Image
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
User avatar
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm
Location: Deep in the Swedish woods

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby molom on Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:12 am

Zwopper wrote:I'll give it a go and see if it <K>ixx! 8) :wink:


You really li<K>e that use of '<K>'s. ;)
Seems like exaile is really good. I might as well try it out. I'm using songbird 0.3 at the moment. Songbird 0.4 came out recently.

Cheers,
molom
User avatar
molom
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Australia

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby molom on Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:15 am

I will also like people to look at this post and vote for it as well ( viewtopic.php?f=60&t=8113 ) . The post/poll is about an app called Miro. I appreciate all the posts you people have made on this poll.

Cheers, (I hope everyone has a Happy New Year)
molom
User avatar
molom
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Australia

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby belovedmonster on Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:33 am

Kynan wrote:Go Exaile! :D i love it, simple, elegant just like mint, works fine and doesn't crash randomly, lovely bunch of plugins and best of all fits nicely with the gnome gtk theme.. what more do you need?

i have made a mint file for the latest version 0.2.11 replacing 0.2.10 (the new plugins are very useful)
link to mint file: http://www.box.net/shared/v0nzbc49bj


I tried your Mint file and it wouldnt play my songs I had ripped in iTunes (no DRM but in M4a format), where as the official Mint software portal version played them fine. Can you address this?

Also, is there a way to clear the search box after searching your collection? Every other app I've ever used has a button to clear it but Exaile seems to make me have to click in the box, do ctrl + A, then Ctrl + X just to get a blank search box. Not good. What am I missing here?
User avatar
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:34 pm

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby exploder on Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:46 pm

My two and a half year old son loves Amarok! That's good enough for me!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15
 
Posts: 5871
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:50 am
Location: HartfordCity, Indiana USA

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby PeteR_V on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:27 pm

I vote Amarok. if any of those others could replace amarok fine.. but the idea of erasing amarok just because its Qt/KDE application is really stupid. there are many great Qt applications people would like to use. So I vote for integration and making Kde/QT applications fit in the desktop. Also it works with my Creative Zen player, Exaile doesnt.
PeteR_V
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby PeteR_V on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:31 pm

About the 'community against amarok' comment... well thing is AmaroK is the most popular music player for linux today - for a reason. so it actually has the best support if you run into some troubles.

I just think its a really stupid mistake to throw away the ONLY Qt/KDE application. People here see problems with it because it doesnt fit in? So lets make it fit iN! This will help a whole lot of other great applications too.

In other words what i see here is no arguments just emotions, Exaile or whatever cant be better as AmaroK - its a clone.. trying to catch up.. besides this its written in python, which is undeniable slower as AmaroK.
PeteR_V
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby Kynan on Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:38 pm

belovedmonster wrote:
Kynan wrote:Go Exaile! :D i love it, simple, elegant just like mint, works fine and doesn't crash randomly, lovely bunch of plugins and best of all fits nicely with the gnome gtk theme.. what more do you need?

i have made a mint file for the latest version 0.2.11 replacing 0.2.10 (the new plugins are very useful)
link to mint file: http://www.box.net/shared/v0nzbc49bj


I tried your Mint file and it wouldnt play my songs I had ripped in iTunes (no DRM but in M4a format), where as the official Mint software portal version played them fine. Can you address this?

Also, is there a way to clear the search box after searching your collection? Every other app I've ever used has a button to clear it but Exaile seems to make me have to click in the box, do ctrl + A, then Ctrl + X just to get a blank search box. Not good. What am I missing here?


I'm quite puzzled by your problem as i read here http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-605478.html people experiencing something similar but there solution was to upgrade to 0.2.11 as 0.2.10 wasn't working... strange.... i will look into this further.

for the second question there is a little broom icon down the bottom right corner at the end of the track progress bar, this is the clear button. I usually just click the X on the tab when i'm done with a playlist, it has mostly the same effect (you will see what i mean).
User avatar
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:39 pm

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby belovedmonster on Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:47 pm

Kynan wrote:for the second question there is a little broom icon down the bottom right corner at the end of the track progress bar, this is the clear button. I usually just click the X on the tab when i'm done with a playlist, it has mostly the same effect (you will see what i mean).


I'm not at my Linux machine at the moment so I cant test this. But are we talking about the same thing?

There are two search bars. One on the left for searching through your collection and one of the bottom right for searching through the tracks in the play list. What I'm saying is there is no broom icon for the search bar on the left. Unless you are telling me that the one broom clears both search fields? This was the one GUI thing that bugged me. I couldn't see a way to clear the left hand side search bar.

It's little GUI things like this which really bug me. Dont get me started on way the Rhythm Box frames work.
User avatar
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:34 pm

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby linuxviolin on Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:15 pm

PeteR_V wrote:well thing is AmaroK is the most popular music player for linux today

Maybe, and then? No other player has the right to compete with it? :roll:

PeteR_V wrote:In other words what i see here is no arguments just emotions, Exaile or whatever cant be better as AmaroK

Better or not it does not matter, if it is just equal then there is no interest in using KDE libs instead of the Gnome libs in a Gnome desktop. :D

PeteR_V wrote:which is undeniable slower as AmaroK.

? Exaile slower than AmaroK? Not on my computer in any case. :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
User avatar
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2055
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: France

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby Kynan on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:50 am

belovedmonster wrote:
Kynan wrote:for the second question there is a little broom icon down the bottom right corner at the end of the track progress bar, this is the clear button. I usually just click the X on the tab when i'm done with a playlist, it has mostly the same effect (you will see what i mean).


I'm not at my Linux machine at the moment so I cant test this. But are we talking about the same thing?

There are two search bars. One on the left for searching through your collection and one of the bottom right for searching through the tracks in the play list. What I'm saying is there is no broom icon for the search bar on the left. Unless you are telling me that the one broom clears both search fields? This was the one GUI thing that bugged me. I couldn't see a way to clear the left hand side search bar.

It's little GUI things like this which really bug me. Dont get me started on way the Rhythm Box frames work.

Oh sorry i must have misread what you were telling me. Yea to clear the search bar i just double click in the search area and then hit backspace i guess a button would be easier but i really don't see a big need for it.
User avatar
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:39 pm

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby belovedmonster on Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:52 am

Kynan, this only goes to highlight the wider problem here, which is that all this is very subjective. I personally think not being able to clear the search bar a horrendous oversight which bugs me both in principle and in the way I'd have to deal with it. I mean, why bother adding a clear button for one search bar but not the other? Either a clear button is a needed feature or not, they cant have it both ways. My gut instinct tells me they couldn't think of a way to get the button in a good place for the left hand side search bar so they said to hell with it. Bad bad GUI!
User avatar
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:34 pm

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby Kynan on Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:01 am

belovedmonster wrote:Kynan, this only goes to highlight the wider problem here, which is that all this is very subjective. I personally think not being able to clear the search bar a horrendous oversight which bugs me both in principle and in the way I'd have to deal with it. I mean, why bother adding a clear button for one search bar but not the other? Either a clear button is a needed feature or not, they cant have it both ways. My gut instinct tells me they couldn't think of a way to get the button in a good place for the left hand side search bar so they said to hell with it. Bad bad GUI!


Ohhhh you were thinking the clear button was for the playlist search bar..... its not its for the playlist itself. both the search bars for the collection and for the playlist both dont have a clear button because its not needed its just like searching for somthing in google.
User avatar
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:39 pm

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby belovedmonster on Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:56 am

Kynan wrote:both the search bars for the collection and for the playlist both dont have a clear button because its not needed its just like searching for somthing in google.


Sorry but that is just wrong wrong wrong! :P

When you do a search for a band lets say The Beatles all the other mp3s in your collection disappear. The only way to then be able to browse your other mp3s is to remove the search term. In every other mp3 application I've ever used there is a button to return to seeing all your mp3s, but in Exaile there is not. This means every single time I want to get back to my entire collection after filtering it down from a search I need to move my mouse up to the search bar, highlight the text and then press the delete key. That is just insanely clunky GUI, and that's why every mp3 playing software I've ever used on Windows and Linux has a search clear button.

Now it might well be that for some people this doesn't bother them, or they don't even notice it. But I'm the kinda person who wants to smack programmers around the head and ask them what the hell they were thinking if the GUI isnt up to standard. So this is a big annoyance for me. :twisted: :twisted:
User avatar
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:34 pm

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby Kynan on Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:31 am

Hahaha ok fair enough i will respect your opinion :wink: it didnt bother me in the slightest, funny how people are so different and how something so minute can annoy someone. :D I wonder if any exaile developers will read this.. i hope for your sake they do and fix it. That's if you end up using it.. which by the sounds of things i doubt. 8)
User avatar
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:39 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
PreviousNext

Return to Chat about Linux Mint

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests