What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

What music player do you want as default for Linux Mint 5.0

AmaroK
22%
Songbird
7%
Banshee
9%
Exaile
23%
Rhythmbox
17%
Other
22%

Total votes : 239

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Postby subslug on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:50 am

I'm just glad whatever you guys decide to use as the default media player, that I can remove it if need be to reload Amarok.

It would seem like a shame to remove a media app as developed as Amarok just because it doesn't fit into the 'Gnome' way of thinking and replace it with Exaile or Songbird which are highly lacking in features, although Songbird probably has the features, they're just buried in there somewhere.
Apparently everyone who voted for Exaile as default doesn't own an iPod. If you do what was your magic to get python-gpod installed on Gutsy?

Crap, I couldn't even find the required lib to play cd's with Exaile........are we serious about this over Amarok? /scratches head in confusion. :oops:
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Kynan on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:37 am

subslug wrote:I'm just glad whatever you guys decide to use as the default media player, that I can remove it if need be to reload Amarok.

It would seem like a shame to remove a media app as developed as Amarok just because it doesn't fit into the 'Gnome' way of thinking and replace it with Exaile or Songbird which are highly lacking in features, although Songbird probably has the features, they're just buried in there somewhere.
Apparently everyone who voted for Exaile as default doesn't own an iPod. If you do what was your magic to get python-gpod installed on Gutsy?

Crap, I couldn't even find the required lib to play cd's with Exaile........are we serious about this over Amarok? /scratches head in confusion. :oops:

Well you are right in that i don't own an ipod, but there is a plugin for the ipod... tho i've never been able to test it understandably.
edit > plugins > available plugins tab > ipod device driver > install/upgrade > installed plugins tab > tick the box to enable it (you might need to add the dependancy that it requires in order for it to work (like below for the audio cd fix)) > then close all the plugins windows and click device tab in exaile main page > then you need to click the drop down menu select the plugin then click the plug button to enable it.... hopefully this all works i cannot test it myself i'd love to know if it works for you.

also note that it defaults to the mount point in /media but this is configurable in the installed plugins tab once again there is a configure option where you can set the mount point of your ipod.

Exaile does have alot of functionality and alot of it comes from these plugins.

As for not being able to play a cd's, i'm amazed as you are that they didn't have it as a dependency, but it is very easily fixed.
Code: Select all
apt install python-cddb
(note that in mint you can replace sudo apt-get and sudo aptitude with just apt) or search for 'python-cddb' in synaptic and install it.
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Postby molom on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:26 am

I am totally against AmaroK on Mint after Clem's blog. Apparently AmaroK is 144MB and Rhythmbox is 12.2MB. Imagine what we can do with that space on the CD. We can have Brasero and Miro 1.0 as default and who knows what else we can have in the Mint CD, probably even Compiz. Seems like that Clem wants Rhythmbox instead of Songbird and Exaile. The blog is on here ( http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=121 ).

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby belovedmonster on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:25 am

Arg!!! I've been using Rhythmbox all morning and I'm finding myself actually starting to like it, quite alot. Especially after turning off the additional browsing frames so it becomes very much like iTunes.

Maybe I will have to change my alliance from Exaile to Rhythmbox?

One thing that is for sure, after reading the blog theres no way we can justify Amarok. As good as it might be it's taking up a stupidly huge amount of the CD.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby molom on Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:44 am

belovedmonster wrote:Arg!!! I've been using Rhythmbox all morning and I'm finding myself actually starting to like it, quite alot. Especially after turning off the additional browsing frames so it becomes very much like iTunes.

Maybe I will have to change my alliance from Exaile to Rhythmbox?

One thing that is for sure, after reading the blog theres no way we can justify Amarok. As good as it might be it's taking up a stupidly huge amount of the CD.

I thought you would save 40-60 mb if you take away AmaroK, but 130Mb!!! is crazy. I had to get a bucket of water and pour it on my face to wake me up after a long night during new years to believe it(I was so tired when I looked at the blog so I thought I was dreaming :D). I hope Clem makes the decision to take amaroK away. But I am totally happy with amaroK being the default app for the Mint KDE edition though.

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby subslug on Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:08 pm

Hmm....well apt-get install python-cddb worked for the cd issue, not sure why when I searched for it in Synaptic I never found it but anyway.

As for the ipod situation, the lib is python-gpod that Exaile complains about and installing it doesn't seem to be an option, there's a listing for it in Synaptic but it says it's not going to be installed.
Really not worth the effort as Amarok works right out of the box without jumping through hoops but, if Amarok is hogging that much space then by all means dump it.
We can always install it after the fact.
I would really rather put whatever else on CD that's more important, we're all free to choose our own Media player anyway.

Maybe some camera/photo handling software could be included, there's Gimp but I mean something to work with a digital camera.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Postby molom on Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:01 pm

subslug wrote:Hmm....well apt-get install python-cddb worked for the cd issue, not sure why when I searched for it in Synaptic I never found it but anyway.

As for the ipod situation, the lib is python-gpod that Exaile complains about and installing it doesn't seem to be an option, there's a listing for it in Synaptic but it says it's not going to be installed.
Really not worth the effort as Amarok works right out of the box without jumping through hoops but, if Amarok is hogging that much space then by all means dump it.
We can always install it after the fact.
I would really rather put whatever else on CD that's more important, we're all free to choose our own Media player anyway.

Maybe some camera/photo handling software could be included, there's Gimp but I mean something to work with a digital camera.

What I think should be installed by default if AmaroK is removed for Mint 5 is:
Deluge - Torrent Client - http://deluge-torrent.org/
Miro - Video Organizer, Youtube/Google video downloader (This app could be great for Linux Mint video tutorials for newbies) - http://www.getmiro.com/
Flock - Web browser based on Firefox, but its better and faster - http://www.flock.com/
Rhythmbox - Everyone knows that one
Brasero - Buring utility, its the best one available in gtk (Great equivalent to K3b) - http://www.gnome.org/projects/brasero/

And thats about it. Mint 5.0 would have a way better 'out of the box' experience if the put these apps in. By the way I think the professional edition for Mint should have Firefox instead of Flock ( After checking what Flock is, you will know why ).

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby belovedmonster on Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:21 pm

molom wrote:What I think should be installed by default if AmaroK is removed for Mint 5 is:
Miro - Video Organizer, Youtube/Google video downloader (This app could be great for Linux Mint video tutorials for newbies) - http://www.getmiro.com/
Flock - Web browser based on Firefox, but its better and faster - http://www.flock.com/
Brasero - Buring utility, its the best one available in gtk (Great equivalent to K3b) - http://www.gnome.org/projects/brasero/

And thats about it. Mint 5.0 would have a way better 'out of the box' experience if the put these apps in. By the way I think the professional edition for Mint should have Firefox instead of Flock ( After checking what Flock is, you will know why ).

I totally agree with you on this list except for Flock. You could maybe make an argument for Flock if we were pitching Mint as the hip, media savy linux distro, kinda like the Mac of the Linux world, but Firefox is the one brand name the open source community has and it would kinda suck to remove it. Plus are most people really such hardcore social networking addicts that they would need Flock? Check out this great beginners guide to flock and you will see that unless you are on social networking sites all day long then its not really much use to you.

Plus by the time Mint 5 is out we will all be using Firefox 3 which is gunna be much faster, prettier and have cool new features. The betas are already getting very positive reviews.

But the rest of the list is spot on. I think all those apps would give a much better out of the box experience. I now officially support Rhythmbox and not Exaile. 8)
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby molom on Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:59 pm

belovedmonster wrote:
molom wrote:What I think should be installed by default if AmaroK is removed for Mint 5 is:

I totally agree with you on this list except for Flock. You could maybe make an argument for Flock if we were pitching Mint as the hip, media savy linux distro, kinda like the Mac of the Linux world, but Firefox is the one brand name the open source community has and it would kinda suck to remove it. Plus are most people really such hardcore social networking addicts that they would need Flock? Check out this great beginners guide to flock and you will see that unless you are on social networking sites all day long then its not really much use to you.

Plus by the time Mint 5 is out we will all be using Firefox 3 which is gunna be much faster, prettier and have cool new features. The betas are already getting very positive reviews.

But the rest of the list is spot on. I think all those apps would give a much better out of the box experience. I now officially support Rhythmbox and not Exaile. 8)

I know what you mean about flock. I was thinking that Firefox gives much more of an image anyway, so I don't find it much of a big deal if Firefox is still the main app. But I really want to maintain the Mint Miro project if there is going to be one. I could say what tutorials we need, but I can't do any speaking for the video tutorials because my voice is a little to deep to make people learn :D.

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ricky on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:35 pm

i am voting for rythmbox. it's gnome's default, and it can by set to a hotkey and controlled by said other hotkeys. also it's very stable and fast. it's 12mb size is also desireable. i think molom and clem are right about amarok being too big, and i would much rather have compiz then amarok.

i have also tried songbird and found it only alright. i didn't like the interface and found it unpleasant to look at.
ricky
Level 1
Level 1

Postby linuxviolin on Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:57 pm

Yes Rythmbox is a good player, perfect for the newbies as I said in a earlier post above, sorry to talk about it yet :wink:, but what about QuodLibet? Have you tried it?
Again:
QuodLibet with all it’s tagging goodness, it’s “album view” media library is the best gnome app for heavy use.

Also it included many plugins...

Nobody spoke here about it, nobody knows? It’s surprising, it's a great app… :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Postby subslug on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:03 pm

belovedmonster wrote:

I agree with you, I change my vote to Rhythmbox as well. I've always found it to be perfectly capable and it's a lot less confusing as Amarok and Songbird for the newbs.

We have to stick with Firefox though, isn't that a Linux rule or something? :lol: It always beats me down when I do a Kubuntu install and realize they didn't bother to add Firefox....I mean Konqueror is fine but come on. Where's the love.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Zwopper on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:44 pm

subslug wrote:We have to stick with Firefox though, isn't that a Linux rule or something? :lol: It always beats me down when I do a Kubuntu install and realize they didn't bother to add Firefox....I mean Konqueror is fine but come on. Where's the love.

Opera is great alternative though, but that ought to be a new thread! :lol:
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Zwopper on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:45 pm

BTW!
I also change my voice from Banshee to Rhythmbox!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby CyberCat on Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:46 am

My vote is definitely for Rhythmbox. My reasoning is: 1) it's already a standard part of GNOME making it have a consistent look and feel with the rest of the desktop. 2) it's extremely "n00b" friendly, both for people new to computers and people coming from other media players such as iTunes. 3) open source, using GStreamer. 4) uses a lot less space than AmaroK

As for AmaroK, I would say it uses too much space, it's slower in my experience, and it certainly looks out of place running in GNOME. I really don't care for the Songbird UI, too much clutter and too dark in my opinion, also nonstandard UI feels out of place. Remember, for new users GUI consistency is VERY important! Banshee uses Mono so forget that. Exaile looks pretty good and over all is my second favorite, I still prefer the more GNOMEy feel of Rhythmbox though.

I totally agree with everything molom said EXCEPT for Flock, I think we should really keep Firefox and/or Opera (see below) besides flock is basically Firefox anyway.

I haven't used Deluge but it looks like a superb bittorrent client which I think is an essential component of any distro (which Mint is lacking currently).

Miro looks awesome too, I think Mint would really benefit from having an app like this included standard.

Brasero, yes! It's already a standard GNOME component and newbie friendly, we REALLY need a good CD/DVD burning app!

Somebody needs to start a new thread discussing this further.

Opera is great alternative though, but that ought to be a new thread!

Yeah, I personally prefer Opera to Firefox (although I like Firefox a lot as well :D) it's great lightweight, but well featured browser. I'd definitely like to see some discussion on this.
CyberCat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby molom on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:19 am

CyberCat wrote:My vote is definitely for Rhythmbox. My reasoning is: 1) it's already a standard part of GNOME making it have a consistent look and feel with the rest of the desktop. 2) it's extremely "n00b" friendly, both for people new to computers and people coming from other media players such as iTunes. 3) open source, using GStreamer. 4) uses a lot less space than AmaroK

As for AmaroK, I would say it uses too much space, it's slower in my experience, and it certainly looks out of place running in GNOME. I really don't care for the Songbird UI, too much clutter and too dark in my opinion, also nonstandard UI feels out of place. Remember, for new users GUI consistency is VERY important! Banshee uses Mono so forget that. Exaile looks pretty good and over all is my second favorite, I still prefer the more GNOMEy feel of Rhythmbox though.

I totally agree with everything molom said EXCEPT for Flock, I think we should really keep Firefox and/or Opera (see below) besides flock is basically Firefox anyway.

I haven't used Deluge but it looks like a superb bittorrent client which I think is an essential component of any distro (which Mint is lacking currently).

Miro looks awesome too, I think Mint would really benefit from having an app like this included standard.

Brasero, yes! It's already a standard GNOME component and newbie friendly, we REALLY need a good CD/DVD burning app!

Somebody needs to start a new thread discussing this further.

Opera is great alternative though, but that ought to be a new thread!

Yeah, I personally prefer Opera to Firefox (although I like Firefox a lot as well :D) it's great lightweight, but well featured browser. I'd definitely like to see some discussion on this.

If you want to make a topic somewhere else, I will appreciate it. I will help you out as well. At the moment I'm busy because I 'm helping a lot with the Mint E17 project, which is coming out SOON!!!

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby lakehousetech on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:31 am

I voted other, since I haven't been happy with any of the players listed. I think that amarok and exaile are great programs, but they are too large and possibly too feature rich for my taste. If amarok had a better mode setting where you could view your playlist similar in size to that of XMMS, then I would lean in that direction. Also, amarok isn't always so stable in gnome. Otherwise without these issues I think It's a toss up between exaile and amarok. I still need to try out the progs others listed that aren't on the vote.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby free jazz on Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:50 pm

No mention of VLC? I'm deffo in the "newb" category and still felt comfortable enough with it.
Too heavy perhaps?
I played a few .wav clips I made for event sounds in the default and various other players and they tended to end with a loud cut noise ... but not with VLC, and not when used as actual system event sounds.
free jazz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby GoustiFruit on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:55 pm

CyberCat wrote:Yeah, I personally prefer Opera to Firefox (although I like Firefox a lot as well :D) it's great lightweight, but well featured browser. I'd definitely like to see some discussion on this.

Are you talking about Opera (which is also my favourite browser) or about the softwares selection (which I also agree with. I'd add Pan though) ? :mrgreen:
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Chat about Linux Mint