New to Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

New to Mint

Postby Guest on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:29 pm

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself to you. My name is Mike and I am from Texas. I have just installed Linux Mint ( 4.0 ) for the first time and really like this distribution so far. A little background about me - I have been a developer for 26 years now, the last 12 years being on an IBM mainframe. I started fooling with Linux around 1997 or 98 with Mandrake 7 I believe it was. Finally, two years ago I blew windows away for good on my home machine. I have been running Debian up until today. For the sake of not bashing people, I will just say that their community needs some work, including the developers on downward. So for several weeks now I have been looking over other distributions and Mint seems to have very good reviews by most folks. So here I am.

Anyway, I hope this is the appropriate forum in which to make an introduction.

I look forward to meeting new folks and hopefully making some friends and contributions.

Mike

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New to Mint

Postby Texas_Mike on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:31 pm

Guest wrote:Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself to you. My name is Mike and I am from Texas. I have just installed Linux Mint ( 4.0 ) for the first time and really like this distribution so far. A little background about me - I have been a developer for 26 years now, the last 12 years being on an IBM mainframe. I started fooling with Linux around 1997 or 98 with Mandrake 7 I believe it was. Finally, two years ago I blew windows away for good on my home machine. I have been running Debian up until today. For the sake of not bashing people, I will just say that their community needs some work, including the developers on downward. So for several weeks now I have been looking over other distributions and Mint seems to have very good reviews by most folks. So here I am.

Anyway, I hope this is the appropriate forum in which to make an introduction.

I look forward to meeting new folks and hopefully making some friends and contributions.

Mike

Sorry, I forgot to login before I posted.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

TexasMike
Mint KDE
Texas_Mike
Level 1
Level 1

Postby belovedmonster on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 pm

Welcome Mike. We have a small knit community so I am sure you will enjoy it here.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby exploder on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:43 pm

Welcome to LinuxMint Mike! You will have a good experience in this forum, very nice group of people here.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby molom on Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:33 pm

Welcome Mike,
Its always nice to have another user, especially one that has removed Windows from their home computer. The mint community is one of the communities that I have found to be the most welcoming and co-operative and its not to cluttered like Ubuntu forums. I know you will fit in.

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby McLovin on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:09 am

(heavy breathing) Welcome to the green side, (more heavy breathing)
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby rcdeacon on Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:11 am

Welcome Mike, it is good to have you and we look forward to your insight as you learn and experiment with Mint.
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux Mint