Linux Mint 4.0 for the Laptop with ATI 9000 IGP Or the NooB

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Linux Mint 4.0 for the Laptop with ATI 9000 IGP Or the NooB

Postby criskat777 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:41 pm

I decided to open this thread after i achieved the impossible . You see i have what you call a not so friendly for Linux Laptop. It's a Acer TravelMate 2700 with the terrible ATI 9000 IGP chip set. When i started with Linux 5 months ago i tried over 15 distros on it and they all had the same problems : Wireless was a terrible thing to achieve for a NooB and there was no way in hell i could get any effects working with the Ati 9000 IGP (no compiz) . BUT THIS IS WHERE IT GETS GOOD after giving up on the Laptop for 5 months i have been using 100% Ubuntu on my Desktop and come to the Ubuntu Forums pretty much every day now. So yesturday i read a post of a Distro called LINUX MINT 4.0 i had heard the name before and thout it was just another distro but what called my attention was that it was 98% Ubuntu with other Apps. so i downloaded it and tried it on my Laptop. It worked Perfect out of the box i mean this distro has a tool for conf. my wireless card that took like 2 min to setup so i did the updates to test the wireless and to my surprise when it was done my ati video drivers wear setup automatically, all i had to do was use synaptic to get the compiz manager and BOOM Compiz working. I have to tell u i have Ubuntu Running 100% on my main Desktop and can not be happier with it but LINUX MINT i thin is the best distro for the person that has hardware not to Linux friendly or the NooB that wants to try something other the WinB

A very special thanks to the developers of Linux Mint it's a rock soiled OS that needs very little tweaking (but you already know that ) :D It's funny that i have a Desktop with Ubuntu 7.10 that i spent months tweaking And let me tell you it's awesome it has every trick in the book . But i did to my laptop in 4hr with Linux Mint , what took me months on my Desktop.
criskat777
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 4.0 for the Laptop with ATI 9000 IGP Or the NooB

Postby molom on Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:16 pm

criskat777 wrote:I decided to open this thread after i achieved the impossible . You see i have what you call a not so friendly for Linux Laptop. It's a Acer TravelMate 2700 with the terrible ATI 9000 IGP chip set. When i started with Linux 5 months ago i tried over 15 distros on it and they all had the same problems : Wireless was a terrible thing to achieve for a NooB and there was no way in hell i could get any effects working with the Ati 9000 IGP (no compiz) . BUT THIS IS WHERE IT GETS GOOD after giving up on the Laptop for 5 months i have been using 100% Ubuntu on my Desktop and come to the Ubuntu Forums pretty much every day now. So yesturday i read a post of a Distro called LINUX MINT 4.0 i had heard the name before and thout it was just another distro but what called my attention was that it was 98% Ubuntu with other Apps. so i downloaded it and tried it on my Laptop. It worked Perfect out of the box i mean this distro has a tool for conf. my wireless card that took like 2 min to setup so i did the updates to test the wireless and to my surprise when it was done my ati video drivers wear setup automatically, all i had to do was use synaptic to get the compiz manager and BOOM Compiz working. I have to tell u i have Ubuntu Running 100% on my main Desktop and can not be happier with it but LINUX MINT i thin is the best distro for the person that has hardware not to Linux friendly or the NooB that wants to try something other the WinB

A very special thanks to the developers of Linux Mint it's a rock soiled OS that needs very little tweaking (but you already know that ) :D It's funny that i have a Desktop with Ubuntu 7.10 that i spent months tweaking And let me tell you it's awesome it has every trick in the book . But i did to my laptop in 4hr with Linux Mint , what took me months on my Desktop.

Its nice to here another person who is amazed by the poer of Linux Mint. I wish you good luck with any other computer miracles ;). I welcome you to the community and I am sure you will be able to help our community.

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 4.0 for the Laptop with ATI 9000 IGP Or the NooB

Postby McLovin on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:00 am

I actualy us an Acer trvelamte 8104WlMi, with an ATIx700mobility, I had to a bit of configuring to get my video card to work properly with compiz, but once I did, things are running great, and Mint and Ubuntu are the ONLY 2 distros that will work on my laptop, but mint runs so much smoother. if you have any issues relating to getting ATI or Acer stuff working, give me a shout, and I will do what I can to help you out. And welcome to the Minty side
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Chat about Linux Mint