Any other DE distros for Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Any other DE distros for Mint?

Postby molom on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:17 pm

I have found that we've reached the peak in our distros, which is very good. These are the main distros that we have:
- Mint Gnome
- Mint KDE
- Mint XFCE
- Mint Fluxbox
- Mint E17

I know there are those other editions like light version and mini version, but I'm talking about DE editions. Is there any other editions people would like, I don't have any other popular DE that would suit Mint. Tell me if you do have one.

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Any other DE distros for Mint?

Postby belovedmonster on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:23 pm

Enough with the DE variations. We need to move into like having a Christian Edition and an Educational Edition and a Gaming Edition and a Music & Video Creation Edition :wink:
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby molom on Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:22 pm

belovedmonster wrote:Enough with the DE variations. We need to move into like having a Christian Edition and an Educational Edition and a Gaming Edition and a Music & Video Creation Edition :wink:

Linux Mint Ultimate edition :P

Cheers ;)
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Day on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:30 am

molom wrote:I have found that we've reached the peak in our distros, which is very good. These are the main distros that we have:
- Mint Gnome
- Mint KDE
- Mint XFCE
- Mint Fluxbox
- Mint E17

I know there are those other editions like light version and mini version, but I'm talking about DE editions. Is there any other editions people would like, I don't have any other popular DE that would suit Mint. Tell me if you do have one.

Cheers,
molom

How about the so-called ROX Desktop?
Day
Level 1
Level 1

Postby molom on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:56 am

Day wrote:
molom wrote:I have found that we've reached the peak in our distros, which is very good. These are the main distros that we have:
- Mint Gnome
- Mint KDE
- Mint XFCE
- Mint Fluxbox
- Mint E17

Cheers,
molom

How about the so-called ROX Desktop?

I don't see much of a point of the ROX desktop. It's ugly. I think the Mint Fluxbox edition takes care of the ROX desktop.

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Day on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:37 am

molom wrote:I don't see much of a point of the ROX desktop. It's ugly. I think the Mint Fluxbox edition takes care of the ROX desktop.

Cheers,
molom

It is not quite true. I use it with frugalware for a while. And it can be configured to be nice looking. Beauty comes from people's hardworking. I don't think Fluxbox is beautiful. But we can make it be. And in fact, sometimes we have to ignore its looking outside in order to get some efficiency out of box. Of course, E17 is an exception. And I am waiting for your Mint E17 beta come out! :D
Day
Level 1
Level 1

Postby molom on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:41 am

Day wrote:
molom wrote:I don't see much of a point of the ROX desktop. It's ugly. I think the Mint Fluxbox edition takes care of the ROX desktop.

Cheers,
molom

It is not quite true. I use it with frugalware for a while. And it can be configured to be nice looking. Beauty comes from people's hardworking. I don't think Fluxbox is beautiful. But we can make it be. And in fact, sometimes we have to ignore its looking outside in order to get some efficiency out of box. Of course, E17 is an exception. And I am waiting for your Mint E17 beta come out! :D

I can understand you and you are right. I haven't seen ROX in a distro yet. But I've heard that Fluxbuntu uses Fluxbox and ROX simultaneously. But I don't think there anymore developers that want to start a project. I've already posted up a post about someone starting a BSD Mint distro and no one has taken the privilege of developing such a magnificent distro. Nice to hear your opinion.

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Day on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:57 am

molom wrote:I can understand you and you are right. I haven't seen ROX in a distro yet. But I've heard that Fluxbuntu uses Fluxbox and ROX simultaneously. But I don't think there anymore developers that want to start a project. I've already posted up a post about someone starting a BSD Mint distro and no one has taken the privilege of developing such a magnificent distro. Nice to hear your opinion.

Cheers,
molom

In fact, there used to be such a to-develop distro called http://roxos.sunsite.dk/, but it seems that the project has been dead...

It is just my idea, doesn't matter that no one will develop it. Maybe someday I will do. :D

Thanks for your info about fluxbuntu, I will take a look at it later.
Day
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux Mint