Linux Mint 12 Release Candidate

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux Mint 12 Release Candidate

Post by KBD47 »

tdockery97 wrote:
KBD47 wrote: Does that include getting MATE to work on the 32 RC version via update? It's a bit disappointing to not be able to check it out.
We'll have to wait on that. Clem will be fixing the MATE login problem in the next couple of days, I think. He told me that it would be a top priority (understandable, as MATE is probably what many want to use in the first place).
Thanks! That is good to know.
There is much I like about MGSE, and it is not hard to see that Clem made a heroic effort to make Gnome 3 usable, he deserves a pat on the back for that, but I'm thinking there is still a future and a desire for the comfortable classic gnome desktop.
JordanV0712

Post by JordanV0712 »

How do I use the keyboard shortcuts for switching inbetween workspaces without going into the Activities Menu?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

also wanted to note: I changed the application's fonts in the "gnome tweak" to ubuntu fonts and it makes the applications look a LOT better...
just a little tip :wink:
podagee

Post by podagee »

is anyone else having this problem?
no right click on screen and no tracer when holding left click and constant purple flashes when using the gnome shell.all this happened right after update
JordanV0712

Post by JordanV0712 »

I still can't figure out what is going on. It says I have the keyboard shortcut planned out, but it doesn't work.Very annoying.
podagee

Post by podagee »

this purple flash is getting out of hand its taking up the whole screen.
wumingism

Post by wumingism »

JordanV0712 wrote:How do I use the keyboard shortcuts for switching inbetween workspaces without going into the Activities Menu?
the answer to your question + lots of cool keyboard shortcuts available here:
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet

in short, to switch to diff workspace, ctrl+alt+up/down but this feature is broken at the moment :cry:
wumingism

Post by wumingism »

z06gal wrote:
wumingism wrote:
KBD47 wrote: I'm used to being able to add shortcuts to apps either on the panel/toolbars or to the desktop, so far haven't figured out how to do either :( I know that Ubuntu 11.10 was rather horrible regarding the ability to configure it. Mint is better, but Gnome 3 is removing the ability to configure the desktop.
KBD47
you can add shortcut of clickable applications to top panel with the frippery extension: "favourites in panel" available here:
http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/index.html

installed it and works fine. great if u want to load multiple apps at once without using mintmenu/activites.

How do you install that?
To install those extension, do the following:
1) go to http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/index.html
2) download "gnome-shell-frippery-0.3.1.tgz" located where line says: GNOME 3.2 (Fedora 16, Ubuntu 11.10)
3) double click downloaded file (opens the extracter program), explore the folders until you see the name of the extension folder you want
4) open nautilus, press ctrl-l, type in ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions
5) drag folders of extension you want from the extractor program to nautilus
6) log out, log in
6) click activities or hit super key, type in gnome-tweak, press enter
7) under extension, enable the one you want.
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

Postby tdockery97 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:12 pm

wolverine_tech wrote:2. Can the RC be directly upgraded to the final release without a clean install? (Please say yes! :))

One more issue: could not sign in after logging out while trying the Live DVD. What's the username and password?

Thanks.

Yes, if you apply all updates to the RC it will be the same as the final release. The login for the live DVD should be username: mint , password: leave blank
Thanks tdockery97.

Still can't figure out how to get the time+date to centre-align... never mind....

Just wanted to mention: the overall installation and boot-time takes longer then Mint 9 or Mint 11, but hopefully will improve as the release matures.
wumingism

Post by wumingism »

Still can't figure out how to get the time+date to centre-align... never mind....
disable all extensions in gnome-tweak-tools. then logout and logback in and you got a perfectly aligned date/time ^_^ (and the default gnome-shell as matter of fact)
I think the dynamic enabling/disabling extension must be broken for some of the features.

After extension is disabled, the panel at the top turns back to black which I think is more sleek. It will be nice if they keep it black
samjam

Post by samjam »

nunol wrote:I also tested the 32bit DVD version and the only problem is that I can't login into Mate.

The 32bit CD version doens't have mate so in that version I found no problem so far and in only requires 3.5GB instead of 5.6GB of disk space to install.

Edit 1: on the 32bit CD mint4win worked but the "Add Multimedia Codecs" and "Upgrade to the DVD Edition" options didn't as I click and nothing happens. Going to check that again.

Edit 2: on the 32bit CD the "Add Multimedia Codecs" and "Upgrade to the DVD Edition" options don't work. Tested in Vbox and with mint4win.
Same here. I'm also using 32bit CD.
After a while suddenly the DVD upgrade worked, but the Add Multimedia Codecs seems to do nothing.
I also get corrupt fonts in the gnome shell, with text showing in a garbled form.

I installed the 172 nvidia drivers and now gnome3 shell fails to load but the gnome classic works.

I think installing the mint-meta-codecs package will install the missing codecs and installing mint-meta-gnome-dvd will install the dvd package.

Also, a tip for launching programs if your menu isn't there is, switch to a text console (ctrl+alt+f1) and logon there, and type:

Code: Select all

DISPLAY=:0 gnome-terminal &
then switch back ctrl+alt+f7

then you should see a gnome terminal from which you can run other commands, maybe gnome-panel or gnome-shell or jockey-gtk (to de-install nvidia) or something like that
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

Post by wumingism on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:28 am

disable all extensions in gnome-tweak-tools. then logout and logback in and you got a perfectly aligned date/time ^_^ (and the default gnome-shell as matter of fact)
I think the dynamic enabling/disabling extension must be broken for some of the features.

After extension is disabled, the panel at the top turns back to black which I think is more sleek. It will be nice if they keep it black
Thanks wumingism! It centre-aligns with the Shutdown extension still on - just what I wanted :)
Having used Gnome-Shell for the last few months (OpenSUSE, Fedora), I too like the default theme of Shell which really is sleek - probably the best looking DE out there.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Finally the Dutch-language installation slideshow is working again! It didn't work with 11.

Mint has become a beautiful distro over the years and with 12 it's even better.
Last edited by AlbertP on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
samjam

Corrupt fonts with 12 RC

Post by samjam »

I have corrupt fonts in the gnome shell showing on a fresh installation with no 3rd party drivers.

Sometimes fonts show fine, sometimes a few characters are bad and sometimes text doesn't display at all.
corrupt-font.png
In this screenshot, the title bar shows no text, but the drop-down shows some corrupt characters but not all.

The live CD boot had the same problem
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

At me it just works. I don't have problems with the calendar's font. Perhaps you need to install a graphics driver?
samjam

Post by samjam »

AlbertP wrote:At me it just works. I don't have problems with the calendar's font. Perhaps you need to install a graphics driver?
If I change the Shell Theme to Default instead of Mintz then all looks fine.
Wamukota

Post by Wamukota »

I can't get to grips with the 12RC.

I need the top and bottom panel to autohide on my netbook, but no possibility to find any settings to do so
Where are the panel applets?
The mint-menu is not configurable. How do I place application icons on the desktop, add a favorite or make an app autostart
How do I disable the annoying auto-switch to Gnome3 in the top left corner of my screen.
Where are the screensavers gone?

Those are basic things and they are lacking. This RC is not on par with Katya. I appreciate the work that Clem and the gang did to put a Mint layer on top of the unworkable Gnome3 but as it stands now this is merely a beta than a RC. I hope that much of those shortcomings will be resolved in a 12.1 release.
samjam

Post by samjam »

samjam wrote:
AlbertP wrote:At me it just works. I don't have problems with the calendar's font. Perhaps you need to install a graphics driver?
If I change the Shell Theme to Default instead of Mintz then all looks fine.
Nope... if I login with it set to Default it looks bad unless I I change to Mintz and then it looks fine. If I change back to the login theme then it looks bad again.

If I install the 173 nvidia driver, then gnome3 won't start

And.. changing the theme doesn't work all of the time, I still get some corruptions for text afterwards.

I have a GeForce FX 5200 which is a bit old...
miwinning

Post by miwinning »

After playing around with Fedora 16 for a few days, Mint improvements to Gnome-shell are looking really good to me. Had no major problems so far.
Just one small one tho. It seems that applications installed in wine only appear in the All Applications section of the Mint menu, but not under the Wine sub menu. Apart form that, great stuff.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The mouse still turns black (like Fedora's mouse pointer) when hovering over certain programs - Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, for example. XChat, Pidgin and Nautilus are not affected.

Finally a distro which knows the remaining battery life! My laptop's power management is broken, even Windows has never known the battery life. Gnome 2 also didn't, just like KDE and LXDE.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”