XFCE Edition so much quicker than XP. Thanks!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

XFCE Edition so much quicker than XP. Thanks!

Postby pingu_dan on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:42 am

Just wanted to say thanks to all those involved in developing and supporting Mint and especially merlwiz79 for his work on the XFCE edition. I tried it as an experiment on an old PIII-900 laptop with 256MB ram that I'm tolerating until I can get my main PC moved to where i'm living.

Have tried Linux in various forms over the last few years but there has always been something that has kept me using Windows, mainly as my job envolves a lot of work with it. However the 25 minutes it was taking from boot before everything had loaded and I could do anything useful was driving me nuts and a XFCE based Linux distro seemed like it might help things.

Aside from a slightly longer installation time than I was expecting the performance is pretty good and frankly I can't believe that the XFCE compositor works and works well on it given the intel i915 graphics.

The system looks great, perfomance seems better than I got when it was a clean XP installation and while it make take me a bit of messing around to everything i want and need working (vpn+rdp among others), don't think I'll be booting Windows on it much anymore.

Would recommend it to anyone wanting to rejuvinate an older system.
pingu_dan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: XFCE Edition so much quicker than XP. Thanks!

Postby Husse on Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:56 am

25 minutes to boot?
Never had even near that in any of the crappy computers I've booted :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby pingu_dan on Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:22 am

Really?! I've seen worse with Windows 98.
pingu_dan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby molom on Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:35 am

25 min to boot!!! How many antiviruses were you running? I've never seen something take longer than 5 minutes, excluding times when there were serious crashes or something.
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby pingu_dan on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:13 am

F-Secure Anti-virus and Spybot S&D. Openoffice quick launch,Tiscalli software for broadband modem and Google desktop were the only things loaded at startup. Suspect there was something lurking in the registry from previously installed software (possibly Windows Desktop Search) that was causing an issue but have neither the time or the inclination to sort it out!
pingu_dan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby molom on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:26 am

pingu_dan wrote:F-Secure Anti-virus and Spybot S&D. Openoffice quick launch,Tiscalli software for broadband modem and Google desktop were the only things loaded at startup. Suspect there was something lurking in the registry from previously installed software (possibly Windows Desktop Search) that was causing an issue but have neither the time or the inclination to sort it out!

I heard google installed apps really slow down the system, excluding apps like picasa and google earth. All that Google desktop, google windows explorer toolbar and that other good widget sidebar are a load of rubbish bloatware.

Well I'm glad you have switched, thankyou for your effort into making Linux Mint a good solution for your computer.

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Husse on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:59 pm

Yes, glad you are among us Minties now
I used to service computers as a warranty service //Edit/Lost part of the sentence/ and also upgrade really old ones//
and I was never past the five minutes mark, but for the ones that never booted
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby NoClue! on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:02 am

Spybot has a start up manager, go in there and uncheck everything but your anti virus then install ccleaner and get rid of all the active x crap. Man what am I doing giving ms advice here................sorry.

Try Mint XFCE on your newer hardware........it rips!
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:54 pm

Man what am I doing giving ms advice here................sorry.
Seems you have no clue :lol: :lol:
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux Mint