Linux Mint 12 is a DISASTER !!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Re: Linux Mint 12 is a DISASTER !!

Postby michaelzap on Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:32 am

craig10x wrote:the next version of debian stable will automatically roll into the current version of debian stable if you have it installed?
you mean when a new version comes out you get all the updates for the new version? wouldn't that tend to break your system?

sounds like that would be like upgrading to the new version of ubuntu...which can be rather problematic (as compared to a fresh install)...

If you track "stable" (as opposed to a particular release's code name, e.g. "squeeze"), then yes your system will be updated from one release to the next whevever a new version becomes official. Lots of people just did this when Lenny (Debian 5) rolled over to Squeeze (Debian 6, the current "stable"). It is a big upgrade, and you can choose not to do it by tracking "oldstable" or the previous release's code name instead. But unlike Ubuntu, Debian releases when it's ready" as opposed to every six months no matter what, and everyone who's running "testing" has in fact been testing the release for two years or so and most bugs get squashed in that time. So it's not really as risky as upgrading from one Ubuntu release to the next (with Ubuntu a fresh install is usually better).

Debian's font rendering is better now also, and like you say LMDE already has nice rendering anyway.

Debian's not perfect, but I find it works much better for me and I imagine it would be a much more solid base on which to build Mint than the ever-mutating chaos that is Ubuntu now.
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby craig10x on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:11 pm

doesn't sound too bad then...maybe debian stable with access to newer apps might be an interesting combination... :wink:
and if the roll over to the next version would be pretty safe, and you wouldn't need to re-install, that would be pretty cool...
craig10x
Level 6
Level 6

Postby kherring7383 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:09 pm

I too spent several hours getting Mint installed and adding my usual apps to see what worked and what didn't. It seems that Mate has the major issues especially the rendering of fonts. I played around with several themes until I found one that was better. As for application menus however, its seems that work needs to be done in this area. As for Compiz fusion, well that's another story. Most plugins worked other not so much. The bottom line, is that in my opinion Mint has made a good move. I currently use Ubuntu 11.10 and rarely use the Unity Launcher or Dash and use Docky to launch my favorite apps instead and only use the Unity Launcher for system related apps which seems to work just fine for me. I will however continue to use both Mint 12 and Ubuntu to see how well Mate will be supported over time. Mate seems to be a good choice, but having worked with many versions of Linux over the years, I've seen a lot of good changes to both Mint and Ubuntu, but most have failed due to the lack of community support.
kherring7383
Level 1
Level 1

Postby podagee on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:27 pm

mate is nice but it is really buggy.its still fresh,in time it will be good.all compiz plug-ins work in mint 12 here is the solution: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86822
as ive said in a previous post i love ubuntu 11.10 also its just that i cant stand that purple screen even if its for a second or two.mint has made the best move so far in de's,i absolutely love what clem has done.several hours aint enough on distros.when i first started of with ubutnu 10.10 i spent nearly 24 hours a day on it.mint 10,11.04,ubuntu 11.10.i spent weeks at a time on them.with mint 12 ive spent a few days on it and got it running the way i want it to.devotion and patience is strongly needed for the new distros.if you are like me trying to figure out what doesnt crash the system and what does.
Say it with me,"podagee,....(poh-duh-gee),"
got it?GOOD!

Toshiba Satellite P755-S5393 Intel i7
octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
Windows 8 PRO w/WMC 64bit
podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Postby aes2011 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:51 pm

podagee wrote:... its just that i cant stand that purple screen even if its for a second or two...

Wow!
Though I understand that that can be changed.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Postby podagee on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:59 pm

yes it can.and after all the tweaking i do on my computer you'd think id just change it right?but in fact i dont even bother i just jump back to mint.beside i love mint more than ubuntu.i started loving ubuntu but i cant find myself really staying with it.
got it?GOOD!

octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Postby linux_mint_fan on Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:03 pm

Thanks for your advice of November 27th. I downloaded and burned the Linux Mint 12 32bit version. In running it from the DVD, the same bootup problem resulted. At that point, I have given up on Linux Mint 12 and have stuck very successfully with version 11. I hope the bootup bugs are corrected in version 13.
linux_mint_fan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby podagee on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:46 pm

gave up on all mint versions.sticking with ubuntu 11.10 gnome shell.its working perfectly for me with 0 bugs.ive customized it got rid of that pesty purple screen,got it booting up under 20sec. and its just perfect.its funny how i got that purple screen off,i did it by removing unity and unity 2d.staying where im at.
got it?GOOD!

octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Postby terrbarr on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:02 pm

I have installed it on two different computers, neither worked and one crashed and had to thrown out. Enough said. I will stay with 11.
terrbarr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hellfire695 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:39 am

Personaly I think mint should distance it self from ubuntu, its unstable and bloated. I think using a 6 month realease cycle pulling the packages from testing instead of unstable would be a wise decision
hellfire695
Level 3
Level 3

Postby sudarsun on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:20 pm

Kernel parameter acpi=off seems to solve the graphics problem post installation. While installation, I had used nomodeset as a kernel parameter, otherwise booting from the LM dvd would throw an exception and dump stack trace on the screen. But, while using "system monitor", I see only one CPU instead of 8 CPUs :(
sudarsun
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jazzguy on Tue May 29, 2012 7:21 pm

When I first tried the Mint 12 Live CD, I hit enter a few times -- thinking my system needed that to force booting from the CD. Mint 12 ran beautifully. Mint 12 Live, at least, was certainly a great spare OS as I was able to get online without a hitch. After going back into Mint 10 and backing up my files, I set to do a fresh install of 12 from the CD. Whoops. The system hung with that bad graphics driver error as shown in a photo someone posted here and the dreaded $ prompt.

Given the graphics error, I don't think the desktop would have booted correctly or been usable.

I booted the Live CD again and this time MEANT TO enter compatibility mode. Again, Mint 12 worked like a champ, even finding my mysterious network card.
jazzguy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Chat about Linux Mint