Wife even likes it :O

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Wife even likes it :O

Postby syn` on Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:21 pm

Sometime early last year I tried Ubuntu 7.4 off the Live CD for fun. I never had really messed around with Linux so I figured I'd just give it a shot and see how user friendly it actually is. Popped the CD in, desktop came up, wife walked in and said, "I like that, what is it?"

So from that point on, she's been nonstop about switching over to Linux. For the most part, we just use the computer for basic internet needs, but we both play Worlda Warcraft and such and we have this Radeon 9200 that I just could not get to work for the life of me on Ubuntu, or any other distro I tried after that.

After getting frustrated with it and messing with it for about a week I decided to go back to Windows. Recently I started trolling the Ubuntu forums again and found a link to Linux Mint and I love it. My wife loves it. I actually got the 9200 to work on a fresh install from Ubuntu. Why it worked on Mint and nothing else, I'll never know, maybe I just did something right, but ah, it's amazing. Too bad I just ordered a new Nvidia card last night.

But man, I love it. It's clean, runs well, and most of all, easy to use. The wife has no problem getting around the desktop or doing whatever she wants to do. From the time the install was done to now, everything with it just worked. I didn't have the sound problems I had when I tried 7.10 or anything. Amazing.

You guys did a great job with this. Looks like we're here to stay :d
syn`
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wife even likes it :O

Postby Husse on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:58 pm

Welcome to Mint syn
and thank you
I can't get my wife to switch - she plays "Spider" to relax and if I removed that I'd get an angry woman in the house :mrgreen:
(For non Windows people and others - it's a patience among the standard XP games :))
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby exploder on Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:35 pm

syn, now that's a success story! My wife is like Husse's, if all her games would play in Mint she would switch. I have been trying to get her to duel boot on the laptop. Anyway s, welcome to LinuxMint!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby puba62 on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:03 pm

install kpat in synaptec.... great solitaire, with spider. it's a wife saver (hehe)
puba62
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Wasda on Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:05 am

Two years ago my wife had enough from windows so I installed Suse on her laptop and she was happy. Games? What games? That was until she found out that laptops don't drink coffee.
She purchased an new laptop and I installed Xfce Cassandra on it. That was a lot faster then Suse and she likes it a lot. Even my two oldest kids are using Mint on there computers together with windows. They playing Need For Speed and so. They using windows like an playstation, only to play games, for the rest they use Mint. And me? I use the main version and I'm happy.
Wasda
Level 1
Level 1

Postby syn` on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:42 am

I managed to get Fruityloops to install and run, Warcraft, Steam, Fireworks, and all the other software that was keeping me to Windows. Got rid of my Windows partition lastnight. Don't think I regret it much. Me or the wife.
syn`
Level 1
Level 1

Postby stafio on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:06 am

For the card players, check out Pysol as well. It's good and has many variations of solitaire included.
stafio
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux Mint